Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat)
सकुर्यातपिच्छिलांशीतांकण्डुग्रस्ताल्पवेदनांम्॥ (च.चि.३०-१३,१४) ॥
What Is Vaginitis
Some gynecological problems needs to be timely diagnosed and treated, before they become more serious. Recognizing symptoms early and seeing physician early may increase the chances of successful treatment. A healthy and strong woman is a base of a family.
Vaginitis is the inflammation of the vagina characterized by itching, vaginal discharge and pain. Vaginitis is associated with irritation and infection of vulva due to its proximity to the vagina. A healthy vagina produces normal secretions to cleanse and regulate itself same as saliva secrets in the mouth. Vaginitis occurs when change in normal balance of vaginal bacteria or an infection.
Classifications of Vaginitis
Bacterial Vaginosis: Caused by bacteria is the most common cause of Vaginitis.
Trichomoniasis: Caused by parasites and commonly transmitted by sexual intercourse.
Candida Albicans: Caused by naturally occurring Fungus. Second most common type of Vaginitis and also known as Vaginal Candidiasis.
Vaginal Atrophy: Vaginal lining becomes thin resulting in vaginal irritation, burning and dryness with no vaginal discharge. Main cause of Atrophic Vaginitis is lack of estrogen hormone due to breastfeeding, menopause or having ovaries removed or damaged.
Noninfectious Vaginitis: Caused by vaginal sprays, douche, perfumed soap, detergents may cause allergic reaction.
Ayurvedic reference of Vaginitis-Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat
Classification of Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat) as Per Ayurveda
In Ayurveda female reproductive diseases are explained in “Yoni Vyapat” and Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat is also mentioned as one among Yoni Vyapat. It is similar to Vaginitis. These Yoni Vyapat are classified under four categories,
- Inflammatory Disease
- Dysfunctional Uterine Disease
- Sterility and Habitual Abortions
- Anatomical Defects
Diagnosis of Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat) as Per Ayurveda-Ashtvidh Pariksha
In Ayurveda, Ashtvidh Pariksha (Eight-fold Examination) is the correct way for accurate diagnosis of disease. Eight types of examination are to be done within a short time on clinical experience basis of an ayurvedic physician. After IAFA Vaginitis ashtvidh pariksha, patient get its almost final report card about the occurrence of this most common female ailment.
- Nadi Pareeksha or Pulse examination is very important: Most ancient diagnostic tool widely used by Vaidya in past. Nadi Vaidya used their skills to get accurate diagnosis by examine radial artery for:
- Current status of the persons’ body, mind, spirit and soul.
- Symptoms of imbalance Doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha).
- Disease reaction in human body.
In Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat) nadi rate, rhythm, volume and force are like swan.
- In Mutra Pariksha (Urine Examination): Mutra is examined by naked eyes – Urine appears pandu (pale), phenayukta (foamy) in Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat).
- In Mala Pariksha (Stool Examination): Mala or Stool is examined by naked eyes – Mala appears normal hard, kapisha (brown coloured) in Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat).
- Jihwa Pariksha (Tongue Examination): Jihwa appears normal to cold, rough, whitish, sticky in Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat).
- Shabda Pariksha (Voice Examination): Voice becomes normal to hoarse, guru (heavy), etc in Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat).
- Sparsha Pariksha (Skin Examination): Appears rough, wet, warm, etc. in Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat).
- Drika Pariksha (Eyes Examination): Eyes appears normal pluta (watery), snigdha (greasy) in Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat).
- Akriti Pariksha (General Appearance): Overall physique of a person is indicative of person’s stamina, strength & life forces and ayurvedic physician can get information from akriti pariksha or general appearance of the person.
“Vaginitis Is Categorized Under Gynecological Disorder. IAFA Offers Both Effective Immunomodulation Based Oral Treatment And New Herbal Formula of Local Wash For Vaginitis”.
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Causes of Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat) as Per Ayurveda
- Consumption of abhishyandi food like pickles, fermented, deep fried, spicy food items.
- Kapha aggravated food as madhur (sweet), guru (heavy to digest), excess milk products, drav (excessive liquid products), curd etc.
- Virudha Aahar (wrong food combinations like fruit with milk, milk with fish, curd with milk, etc.)
- Low digestive fire or mandagni.
- Excessive sleeping, day time sleep after lunch.
- Lack of physical exercise.
- Poor hygiene.
Signs and Symptoms of Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat) as Per Ayurveda
- Kandu (Itching)
- Sheeta (feeling Abnormal Cold)
- Pichchila (Stickiness)
- Alpa Vedana (Mild Pain)
- Pandu Varna (Female looks Pale)
- Menstrual Bleeding – Pandu Varna (Pale, Yellowish coloured), Pichchila Artava (Sticky Bleeding)
Diet Management In Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat) as Per Ayurveda
- Consume Fresh Vegetables and Fruits.
- Bottle Gourd, Red Amaranths.
- Avoid Pickles, Fermented, Deep Fried, Spicy, Bakery Food Items
- Avoid excessive consumption of Milk Products
- Virudha Aahar (Wrong Food Combinations like Fruit with Milk, Milk with Fish, Curd with Milk, etc.)
Lifestyle Improvement In Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat) as Per Ayurveda
- Avoid daytime sleep after lunch
- Avoid late night awakening
- Avoid excessive physical exercise
- Avoid using common swimming pools and hot tubs
- If too much sweating then change undergarments twice a day,
- Wipe and wash from front to back side after passing stool so it cans prevent vaginal infection from minute fecal particles.
Yoga and Asanas For Vaginitis (Kaphaj Yoni Vyapat)
Yoga and Asanas will decrease Stress, restore hormonal balance, get rid of toxins, and creates more immunity to fight against vaginal infection in Vaginitis.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Vaginitis
According to Acharya’s, vata is the main doṣa responsible in causation of all yoni roga, especially because of the vata sthana of reproductive system.So chikitsa sutra (treatment principle) of any yoni vyapat should be associated with vata samana (pacifying) therapies. Hence, here snehana (unction), svedana (fomentation) along with mrdu sodhana (purification with less potent drugs) should be followed. Then sthānika chikitsa (local treatment) in yoni like parisheka (irrigation), pichu (medicated tampon), pralepana (anointment),abhyanga(massage),uttaravasthi (medicine instillation through vagina or cervix) are indicated on the basis of involvement of doṣa.
Internal Medications for Vaginitis
- Pushyanuga Churna
- Chandraprabha Vati
- Arogyavardhini Vati
- Triphala guggulu
- Nimbadi guggulu
- Aragwadha kashaya
- Kathakakhadiradi kashaya
External Therapies for Vaginitis
- Panchavalkala kashaya
- Panchatiktakam kashaya
- Mahamanjishtadi kashaya
- Aragwadhapatra kashaya
- Kumbheeka patra/Valkala kashaya
- Triphala kashaya
- Guluchyadi kashaya
Vaginal suppositories or Yoni pichu/Garthi
- Dhatakyadi Varti
Lepa (external application of herbal paste)
- Panchavalkala Lepa
- Shatadhouta Ghrita
- Triphala churna
Single herbs used in Vaginitis as per Ayurveda
- Haridra(Curcuma longa)
- Aragwadha(Cassia fistula)
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Nimba (Azadirachta indica)
- Karanja (Pongamia pinnata)
- Amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Is there a permanent treatment for Vaginitis in Ayurveda?
Question: Is Vaginitis’ treatment in Ayurveda Chemical-free?
Question: I had done several courses of antibiotics and antifungal medicines from last 2 years but still I have Vaginitis? Is it cureable?
Ayurvedic chemical free local vaginal wash prepared by natural extract of herbal medicines helps to inhibit the growth of bad microorganism without harming the vaginal lining and mucus. Side by side oral ayurvedic medicines when reached in our blood stream will do multidimensional approach like immune-modulation, inhibition of organism, subsided pain or burning, relieve itching and discharge.