Migraine Due To Food Allergy (Ardhavabhedaka)
अर्द्धेतुमूर्द्ध्न: सोअर्द्धावभेदक: l
Migraine Due To Food Allergy
The hypersensitivity reaction of human body towards various factors like food, environmental changes, mental state etc. can affect different systems of body. Among these, allergic response to various food items can be responsible in causing head ache in some people. Food allergy can result in two types of head ache – Sinus headache and Migraine. The range of symptoms varies in different individuals based on health status and strength of allergen.This is found to be affected more in women than in men. Ayurveda has specifically explained the condition of migraine as Ardhavabhedaka. There is detailed description of symptoms as well as treatment of Ardhavabhedaka. Dr.Gupta’s IAFA is providing the best Ayurvedic treatment available for migraine, caused especially by food allergy. IAFA is an enthusiastic institution focussing on the management of various agonies related to allergy.
Common Causes of Migraine
Migraine may be triggered by various factors. The exact reason and mode of occurrence is not fully known. Nervous system is believed to have great role in the manifestation of Migraine. The factors that can initiate migraine are:
- Variation in hormonal levels in women
- Intake of certain drinks like alcohol, coffee etc.
- Intake of specific foodstuffs like cheese, salty food, canned and baked food
- Skipping meals
- Reduced intake of water
- Presence of chemicals like preservatives, artificial sweeteners, flavours etc. in food.
Ayurveda explains the reasons for occurrence of Migraine as environmental changes, mental stress, increased alcohol intake, suppression of natural urges, improper digestion of food etc.
Ayurvedic Reference of Migraine Due To Food Allergy-Ardhavabhedaka
Symptoms of Migraine Caused by Food Allergy
In some people, before the actual occurrence of Migraine there will be warning symptoms called as Aura manifested as flashes of light, difficulty to speak etc. General symptoms of Migraine include:
- Throbbing or pulsating pain usually over one side of head
- High sensitivity to light and sound
The duration of symptoms varies in each individual. It may last from a few hours to a few days.
In Ayurveda exact symptoms of Migraine are explained as severe pain over half of head, disturbances to eyes and ears (sensitivity to light and sound) in severe condition, dizziness, cracking and throbbing pain etc.
“Dr.Gupta’s IAFA is providing the best Ayurvedic treatment available for migraine, caused especially by food allergy. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is an enthusiastic institution focussing on the management of various agonies related to allergy”.
‘Let’s get rid of headaches by the power of Ayurveda through IAFA’
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Migraine due to Food Allergy
Do’s (Pathya) in Migraine Due to Food Allergy
- Light & warm food
- Increased intake of fruits, vegetables and salads
- Drink plenty of water
- Steam inhalation
- Practice of mild exercise
- Spent more time outside where good oxygen supply is available
- Use hot water for bathing (below neck)
- Proper sleep at night time
Don’ts (Apathya) in Migraine Due to Food Allergy
- Foodstuff like cheese, chocolate etc.
- Drinks like alcohol, particularly beer and red wine
- Food items containing preservatives like nitrates and artificial sweeteners
- Heavy and fatty food
- Long journey without rest
- Working in A/C rooms
- Continuous computer work without rest
- Suppression of natural urges especially cough, sneeze, urine etc.
- Day sleep
- Late night work
- Drinking cold water
Yoga and Pranayama for Migraine Due to Food Allergy
Regular practice of Yoga definitely helps in reducing the attacks and intensity of Migraine. Yoga helps to drop mental stress and increases blood circulation. Following Yoga postures will be especially beneficial in Migraine:
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
Pranayama helps to bring easiness and lightness to body as well as mind. Regular practice of Pranayama with Yoga can do magical effects in reducing distress caused by Migraine.
Treatment of Migraine due to Food Allergy
Ayurveda has a combined therapy of internal medicines, external medicines and treatment procedures to manage Migraine.
Internal Medicines for Migraine due to Food Allergy
- Pathyashdanga Kashaya
- Amrutothara Kashaya
- Pachanamrutha Kashaya
- Rasnadasamoola ghrita
- Sudarshana choorna
- Godanti bhasama
- Lakshmi vilasa ras
- Satavari gula
- Varanadi ksheera grita
External medicines for Migraine due to Food Allergy
- Kachuradi choorna
- Ksheerabala taila
- Propoundarikadi taila
- Balaswagandhadi taila
- Rasnadi jambeera
Purification Therapy in Migraine due to Food Allergy
- Vamana (vomiting)
- Virechana (purgation)
- Nasya (administering nasal drop)
Treatment Procedures for Migraine due to Food Allergy
- Siro vasti (Retention of medicated oil on head)
- Siro lepa (Application of medicated paste on head)
- Siro abhyanga (Head massage with medicated oil)
- Swedana (Sweating therapy)
Single Herbs for Migraine Due to Food Allergy
- Bala (Sida cordifolia)
- Aswagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata)
- Varana (Crateva nurvala)
- Satavari (Asparagus racemosus)
- Hareetahki (Terminalia chebula)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist