Methika (Trigonella foenumgraecum)
Methika – Trigonella foenumgraecum
Methika, commonly known as Fenu greek is one of best insecticidal herbs present. It is cultivated through out India owing to its medicinal properties. The name methika is given because of its property of alleviating fevers of Vata and Kapha origin.
Institute of Applied food Allergyguided by Dr.Gupta, have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Methika and proven the plant’s therapeutic activities like Hypoglycemic,Fungitoxic, Insecticidal, Antibiotic, Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory actions. Brahmi can be used in various diseases like Fever, Anorexia , Oedema, Skin diseases, Inflammation etc. Our experts have successfully proven the antioxidant potential of the plant by various research programs. It is one of the widely used herb for the eradication of insects.
Action of Methika – Trigonella foenumgraecumin Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Methika. The plant contains phytoconstituents like Choline, amino acids, B sitosterol, quercitin, saponin etc. These phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic and anti-inflammatory property of Methika. It is used both internally and externally in allergic conditions.
Vernacular names and Classification
|Sanskrit Name||Methika ,Deepani, Bodhini|
|English Name||Fenu greek|
Ayurveda reference of Methika – Trigonella foenumgraecum
Morphology of Methika – Trigonella foenumgraecum
- A nearly smooth erect annual herb
- Stipules are non toothed
- Leaves are compound, oblong
- Flowers are sessile
- Fruits are pods
Geographical distribution of Methika – Trigonella foenumgraecum
Methikais found throughout India in wet places damp and marshy areas.
Phytoconstituents of Methika – Trigonella foenumgraecum
The plant contains phytoconstituents like Choline, amino acids, B sitosterol, quercitin, saponin etc.
Parts used of Methika – Trigonella foenumgraecum
- Whole plant
Dosage of Methika – Trigonella foenumgraecum
- Powder(churna)- 5-10 g
Medicinal Properties of Methika – Trigonella foenumgraecum
- Kasa hara – relieves cough
- Medhya – enhances memory
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Swasahara – relieves asthma
- Rasayana – rejuvenative
- Visaghna – useful in poisoning
- Kandughana- relieves itching
- Kushtaghna – relieves skin diseases
- Swarya – help to increase clarity of voice
Have A Health Issue?
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Home remedies of Methika – Trigonella foenumgraecum
Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine, extensively popular in India. More than medical care, Ayurveda advices lifestyle modifications which helps in relieving diseases and promoting immunity. Ayurveda uses herbs that are commonly seen around. Methika is a major herb used in Ayurveda and is used in many diseases like,
- In Flatulence (Adhmana) –Seed is collected crushed and made into fine powder. It is then taken internally at a dose of 5g.
- In disordersof Vata (Vatavyadhi) – Powder of Methika is taken internally at a dose of 5g daily will check diseases caused by aggravation of Vata dosha.
- To promote intellect (Medhadhi janaka) – Herb is collected and tied in a cloth. It is then tied around palm, neck and head of children.
- In Inauspiciousness (Alakshmi) – Juice of Methika is processed with ghee and taken.
- In Diabetes (Prameha) – Decoction is made of Methika and taken to cure diabetes.
- In Cough (Kasa) – Powder of Methika is mixed with honey and taken repeatedly to cure cough.
- In Fever (Jwara) – Decoction or water processed of Methika taken to cure fever.
- In Anorexia (Aruci) – Juice of Methika is mixed with honey and taken.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist