Rheumatoid Arthritis (Amavata)
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Causes, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Treatment
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a long-term autoimmune disorder, when immune system of the body mistakenly attacks body’s own tissue. It’s a chronic inflammatory disorder resulting in affecting more than one joints of the body. The inflammation thickens the synovium which destroys the cartilage and bone within the joint. RA affects lining of the joint that causes bone erosion and joint deformity. The tendons and ligaments which holds joint together weaken and stretch, eventually the joint looses its shape and alignment. It results in swollen, warm, and painful joints. Fever and Fatigue is also seen in RA. Most commonly wrists and hands involved but disease can affect other parts of the body also. In some cases condition can damage the wide variety of body systems, including the eyes, skin, heart, lungs, and blood vessels. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA has formulated specific Ayurvedic treatment protocol for this condition as RA is indirectly related to our incompatible food combination we ate. IAFA is equipped with all kinds of curative methods for various types of joints pain including Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Types of Rheumatoid Arthritis
There are three types of RA:-
- Seropositive Rheumatoid Arthritis:- If blood protein RF (Rheumatoid Factor) or anti ccp (antibody anticyclic citrullinated peptide) blood test comes positive that means body may be actively producing an immune reaction to the normal tissues. Chances of developing RA is greater if parents or siblings tests positive for RF.
- Seronegative Rheumatoid Arthritis:- If RF (Rheumatoid Factor) and anti ccp comes negative means still have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Clinical symptoms, X rays and other lab. tests can also diagnose Rheumatoid Arthritis. People tests negative for this test tends to have milder form of RA than those tests positive.
- Juvenile Idiopathic Rheumatoid Arthritis:- This is most common type of RA in children under age of 17 Years. Symptoms may be temporary or lifetime. Joint inflammation, stiffness and pain is there and in severe cases eye inflammation and interference in child growth and development is there.
Ayurvedic Reference of Rheumatoid Arthritis (Aamvata)
Amavata is a painful joint condition which is explained in Ayurveda Textbooks. The features of Rheumatoid Arthritis are similar to the Amavata.
A vitiation of Life Force vata and accumulation of Ama takes place in joints. Ama is a undigested product of the body, when this Ama gets lodged in joints or tissues it is responsible for the symptoms like pain, stiffness, swelling, tenderness etc. in the joints, loss of appetite, indigestion, weakness, heaviness in the chest. Amavata is the outcome of Agnidushti, amoptti and sandhivikruti (joint deformity). Many people in society are unaware of the disease and its complications which are responsible for lifelong joint deformities.
Causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis (Amavata)
Consumption of Improper and Irregular Food, Wrong Food Combinations, Virudhha Aahar, etc.
- Bakery products,
- high-calorie Food,
- Sago, Curd,
- Daily Consumption of Rice only,
- Daily eating non-vegetarian Food,
- Doing exercise immediately after meals,
- Unwholesome Lifestyle practices,
- Having low metabolism and slow digestion for long period,
- Working in the water,
- Sedentary life Activities,
- Suppression of natural urges,
- Day time sleep,
Signs and Symptoms of the Rheumatoid Arthritis (Amavata)
- Pain or inflammation of one or more joints
- Scorpion bite like pain
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea, excessive salivation
- Burning Sensation
- Excessive Urination
- Indigestion, Hardness of the abdomen
- Giddiness, Fainting
- Gurgling sounds in the abdomen
- Feeling heaviness in the body
- Lack of initiative/enthusiasm
- Disturbance in sleep pattern
- Stiffness in the chest (heart) area
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is the best in Ayurvedic management of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is using the various Ayurvedic measures along with Yoga therapy for complete cure in Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Visit IAFA and enjoy the natural healing of your joints!!!
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Diet Management in Rheumatoid Arthritis (Amavata)
- Red Rice,
- Horse Gram,
- Barnyard millet,
- Bitter Gourd,
- Ginger Hot Water,
- Buttermilk with garlic,
- Kullatha (Dolichos bean),
- Fruits of Patola,
- Leaves of vastuka (White goosefoot),
- Root of Punarnava etc.
- Black Beans,
- Excessive eating
- Incompatible Food
- Non-potable Water
- Suppression of Natural Urges
- Exposure to Easter winds
- Night Awakening
- The above things are harmful in Amavata.
Yoga Aasnas and Pranayama for Rheumatoid Arthritis (Amavata)
Yoga Asanas and Pranayama help people in Rheumatoid Arthritis to reduce joint pain, improves joint flexibility and its function and it also lowers stress for better sleep. These Yogasanas helps in RA are:-
Ayurvedic Treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Ayurveda has advised treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Ayurvedic management includes internal medicines as well as external therapies.
Internal Medicines should be consumed under Ayurvedic Physician‘s guidance only.
- Amavatari Rasa
- Dhashmooladi Rasa
- Rasnadi Kashay
- Amrutadi Churna
- Yograj Guggul
- Simhanad Guggul
Purification Therapy for Rheumatoid Arthritis (Amavata)
Purification Therapy can improve the efficiency of medicines to fight back against chronic ailments and eliminate toxins from the body. It removes toxins from the body.
- Swedana: Dry steam is given with the sand is known as Rooksha Swedan.
- Virechana: Purgation Therapy is the administration of purgatives to clean of pitta through the intestine.
- Basti: Oil enema. It is used to treat vata disorders
Single Herb for Rheumatoid Arthritis (Amavata)
- Black Pepper
- Indian Bedelium
- Amalaki (Indian Gooseberry)
- Eranda Tailam (Castor Oil)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)