Beauty and lifestyle products are a major part of everybody’s lifestyle today. Products ranging from daily essentials like skin and haircare elements to makeup products like lipstick, blushes, foundation, etc. are widely used in everyday life to up your grooming game. As much as we love using these skin, hair, and beauty products, there can be no denying the fact that they sometimes can cause reverse reactions over the skin due to certain chemicals, fragrances, and preservatives that they contain. In this article, we shall discuss the causes and ayurvedic and herbal remedies for makeup allergy.
Causes of Makeup Allergy
Allergic skin reactions that occur due to makeup and cosmetics may range from a simple rash to an extreme allergic reaction. The potential causes of these allergic reactions from cosmetic and makeup products are preservatives, fragrances, and paraphenylenediamine (PPD) that are commonly found in such products.
Let us now take an elaborate look at the same:
|● More than 5000 different fragrances are used in cosmetic products that may lead to allergic reactions.
● Typically found in almost every shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, facial cosmetic, and deodorant.
● The patch testing process can be used to detect fragrance allergies.
|● Preservatives are mostly used in makeup products that contain water, to prevent the growth of bacteria and fungus.
● Some common preservatives found in beauty and self-care products are:
|● This element is mostly found in hair dyes, which gives hair a natural color.
● PPD may cause reactions over the upper eyelids, the rim of the ears and sometimes may cause swelling on the face and scalp.
● The advance and new derivates of PPD have lower chances of causing allergic reactions.
Cobalt, sunscreen, and nail cosmetic allergens are amongst the few most common allergy-causing agents found in makeup and cosmetics.
Types of Skin Reactions to Makeup Products
Two types of makeup allergies that result from makeup products are:
- Irritant Contact Dermatitis: This is the kind that causes a direct effect and damages the skin, causing burning, itching, and stinging sensations. Blisters may also be formed as a result of this allergy and scratching might also lead to oozing therefore must be avoided.
- Allergic Contact Dermatitis: This results mostly due to a lack of immunity against various allergy-causing elements. This includes hives, burning, itching, redness, and swelling as symptoms that may occur on any part of the body including ears, lips, face, or neck.
Treatment for Makeup Allergy
Certain precautions along with herbal and ayurvedic treatment for makeup allergy may be observed to avoid allergic reactions from beauty and cosmetic products. Let us take a look at each one of them distinctively:
- Reading a list of ingredients while purchasing makeup products must be strictly practiced to take notice of any potential allergens.
- Look for products that have minimum ingredients to lower minimize the possibility of allergic reactions.
- While purchasing new or untested products, always do a patch test on the inside of your elbow or wrist and observe the results for at least 48 hours. If you observe any redness, rash, swelling, or any other strange reaction on the skin, make sure you don’t use the product again.
- Never apply colognes or perfumes directly to your skin. Use the fragrances over your clothes and allow them to dry before wearing them on.
Home Remedies for Makeup Allergy
Following these few procedures that include natural treatment for makeup allergy, can help you achieve relief from such reactions.
- Oatmeal Bath: Oatmeal contains certain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help in soothing various skin reactions. Adding one cup of powdered oatmeal to lukewarm water and immersing the affected area in it can provide relieving results.
- Baking Soda: Baking Soda helps in balancing the pH levels of the body and provides comfort from itchy and burning sensations caused due to allergic reactions. Form a paste with about 4tbsp of baking soda along with 12 tbsp. of water, and apply it over the infected area. Rinse off the paste 10 minutes later and repeat the process daily to observe beneficial results.
- Coconut Oil: The above-mentioned remedy may be repeated with coconut oil instead of water, as it yields a cooling and relieving effect. Coconut oil also helps in treating redness and rashes that may have affected the skin.
- Honey: Honey has been an Ayurvedic expert for ages for treating various skin problems. Applying honey directly to the allergic area helps in unclogging pores and treating cosmetic and makeup allergies. The process must be repeated daily as it doesn’t have any side effects and also enhances the skin texture.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: It contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial components that help in reducing the intensity of skin allergies and also help in fighting against germs. One part of vinegar along with 3 parts of water may be dabbed on the skin with cotton and must be washed with cool water once it dries.
Few other ingredients which are readily available at home and provide relieving results from skin problems by simply applying them over the area of infection are:
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Olive Oil
- Green Tea
- Ice Cubes
All the ingredients mentioned above provide beneficial results because of their antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
Herbal Remedies for Skin Allergies
Various plants and herbs when formed into a paste and applied to the skin, yield magical results for treating skin problems. A few of them are:
- English marigold
- Stinging nettle
Home remedies and natural procedures are absolutely safe and free from any kind of side effects. But in case of skin allergies, we recommend a prior consultation from your doctor or you may also contact us at IAFA, for we provide expert advice and guidance for treating all kinds of allergies and skin-related problems.