Irritant Diaper Dermatitis commonly known as diaper rash is an inflammatory reaction of the skin that appears as a bright red patch or rash in the perianal and perineal areas of young infants. In most cases, the infection is caused by contact dermatitis, which implies that the infection is caused by being in contact with certain substances which include urine and feces, that cause the inflammation of the skin.
Irritant Diaper Dermatitis is generally caused due to infrequently changed or wet diapers, chafing, or skin sensitivity. The rash can be annoying for infants and generally makes them irritable, therefore treating it becomes extremely essential.
This article will help you get an insight into how to treat irritant diaper dermatitis with Ayurveda and herbs, one of the safest and trusted techniques to provide relief to your babies. But before beginning with the treatment procedures let us take a quick look at the causes of Irritant Diaper Dermatitis and its symptoms.
Causes of Irritant Diaper Dermatitis
- Rubbing or Chafing: Clothing and diapers that are too tight-fitted can constantly rub against the skin and cause a rash. It traps moisture and doesn’t allow air to enter into the diaper area, making it more prone to contracting an infection.
- Irritation Caused by Urine or Stool: Baby’s skin is extremely sensitive and prolonged exposure to urine or stool may cause extreme irritation. The chances of developing diaper dermatitis also increase if the baby is suffering from diarrhea or experiencing frequent bowel movements.
- Introduction of New Foods: When a baby’s diet is switched to solid food, the stool content also changes. The likelihood of a diaper rash increases under such circumstances as the frequency of stool may also increase with a change in the baby’s eating habits and diet. A mother’s diet also has a great impact on the baby’s stool during breastfeeding, and a baby may develop a diaper rash in response to the mother’s diet.
- Irritation Caused by A New Baby Product: A baby’s sensitive skin may often react to ingredients present in the body lotions, oil, or powders. A change in the brand of the diaper or wipes, fabric softeners, detergent, or bleach may also result in the same.
- Bacterial or Fungal Infection: The diaper region including buttocks, thighs, and genitals makes a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, yeast, and fungus to grow and thrive as it is the warmest and moistest area in a baby’s body. Rashes may develop within the creases and folds of the skin and may spread around.
Furthermore, a reaction to an antibiotic or extra sensitive skin may be amongst the few other causes of a diaper rash.
Symptoms of Irritant Diaper Dermatitis
- Red and tender-looking skin around the diaper area. (thighs, buttocks, and genitals)
- A change in baby’s disposition, especially cranky and irritable during diaper changes.
- A noticeable red rash or patchwork around the diaper area.
Treatment of Irritant Diaper Dermatitis
As per Ayurveda, the below listed few measures are very effective for the treatment of irritant diaper dermatitis: –
- Oatmeal Bath: A tablespoon of oatmeal mixed in bathing water for babies can provide instant relief from a diaper rash. Hold the baby if he’s too small to balance himself for about 5-10 minutes’ oatmeal water solution and pat dry once done. Do not rub as it may aggravate the condition. For severe rashes practice this remedy twice a day.
- Coconut Oil: The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of coconut oil help in providing relief from irritant diaper dermatitis. Wash and clean your baby’s bottom with warm water and pat dry. Apply a half tablespoon of coconut oil to the affected area. This process may be repeated 2-3 times per day, depending upon the intensity of the rash.
- Yogurt: Plain yogurt when applied over the rash affected area, helps in treating the inflammation and the rash caused by the infection. Apply a thick layer of plain yogurt just like a moisturizer and then put it on the diaper. Make sure the yogurt is at room temperature before applying it over the rash.
- Breast Milk: Mother’s milk is known to possess a lot of healthy and healing properties. For best results apply a few drops of breast milk over the rash and then put on the diaper.
- Epsom Salt: The high magnesium content and anti-inflammatory properties of Epsom salt help in keeping diaper rashes at bay. Add about half a cup of the salt to warm water and let your baby sit in it for about 10-15 minutes. Follow it with a normal bathing session and repeat the process about 2-3 times per week.
- Aloe Vera Gel: To provide relief from rash inflammation, apply natural or packaged Aloe Vera Gel over the rash. It has a soothing and cooling effect over the rash and provides instant relief to the baby.
- Allow Some Diaper-Free Time to the Baby: It is a must to let your baby enjoy some diaper-free time to allow proper air circulation around the diaper area. Airing out the affected area helps in treating the rash to a great extent.
Herbal Remedies for Irritant Diaper Dermatitis
We at IAFA® provide Diaper Rash Care Pack which contains safe and effective herbal remedies for irritant diaper dermatitis. You can buy this pack online from our store.
Prevention of Irritant Diaper Dermatitis
Avoid Irritant Diaper Dermatitis by following a few preventive measures mentioned below:
- Make sure you change your baby’s diaper frequently to avoid rash development due to lack of air circulation or contact with urine or stool.
- Also, ensure you wash your baby’s buttocks every time post a diaper change with warm water to wash away germs and bacteria.
- Gently pat dry the skin with a soft towel and do not rub the area as it may only intensify the condition.
- Do not tie the diaper too tight so as to allow air circulation.
- Consider applying ointment regularly if your baby’s skin is sensitive or rash prone.
- Do wash your hands post a diaper change to prevent the spreading of germs to other parts of the baby’s body.
Irritant Diaper Dermatitis mustn’t be overlooked as it may cause extreme discomfort and irritation to your infant. Contact us at IAFA® to consult our health experts for the best guidance and treatment. We aim to provide the best ayurvedic treatment to you and your child for various conditions and allergies.