Candida Albicans, a species of single-celled yeast fungus is a part of natural microflora, the natural microorganisms that are a part of the human body. It is normally found in the gastrointestinal tract, vagina, and mouth. The numbers of these microorganisms are naturally kept in control by Lactobacillus bacteria, however, the disruption in the levels of this bacteria which can happen due to certain reasons causes an overgrowth of Candida Albicans in the body. These factors include:
- Steroids that impair the immune system
- Antibiotics, that destroy pathogenic as well as good bacteria.
- Too much intake of sugar or carbs.
- Oral contraceptives.
- Stressful life.
As discussed above, these factors lead to an overgrowth of the fungus which ultimately becomes the Cause of Candida Albicans infections.
As we proceed, we shall discuss the Symptoms, and Ayurvedic Treatment measures to treat infections caused by the fungus, along with each of its different kinds.
Types, and Symptoms of Candida Albicans Infections
1. Genital Yeast Infections
Candida Albicans is one of the most common causes of Genital Yeast Infection. Participation in sexual activities that involve oral-genital contact may be one of the reasons for contracting the infection. A disruption in the number of Lactobacillus may also cause genital yeast infection.
Common symptoms of Genital Candida include:
- Redness, swelling, and pain, in or around the vagina.
- Irritation and itching around the vagina.
- Burning sensation while urinating or during intercourse.
- Rash around the vagina or penis.
- Abnormal discharge from the vagina that may be watery, thick, or white.
2. Urinary Yeast Infection
Fungal Urinary Tract Infections are most commonly caused by the Candida species. The infection may affect the lower portion of the urinary tract or sometimes spread up to the kidneys.
- Pain in the pelvic or abdominal region.
- Frequent urge to urinate.
- Bleeding while urination.
- Itching or burning while urinating.
3. Oral Thrush
Though Candida Albicans is a normal part of the microflora of the mouth, its overgrowth can cause serious infections in the mouth. The infections sometimes also spread upto the throat or the tonsils.
- Loss of taste.
- Redness inside or at the corners of the mouth.
- Burning or painful sensations inside the mouth.
- Difficulty in chewing or swallowing.
- Development of white patches in the mouth, which may bleed or pain on touching.
4. Mucocutaneous Candidiasis
The fungal infection of the skin and mucus membranes, which is caused by Candida Albicans. Certain factors that increase the risk of contracting the infection include:
- Weakened immune system.
- Wearing tight or synthetic clothes or undergarments.
- Wearing sweaty clothes for long durations.
- Lack of hygiene in the intimate areas of the body.
- Infrequent changing of undergarments.
- Red rash around the affected area.
- Blister-like lesions might also form in a few cases.
- Thickened skin that produces that discharges white, curd-like substance.
5. Joint Pain
If candida enters the bloodstream and travels to different parts of the body, it can often affect the joints and cause arthritis. It typically affects the knees and the hips.
- Stiffening of the joints.
- Pain in joints.
- Swelling of the joints.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Candida Albicans
Ayurveda is suggested and considered one of the best treatment measures to treat the underlying cause behind certain ailments without any side effects. Various techniques, foods, and procedures suggested by Ayurveda significantly contribute to treating different conditions.
Below listed a few home remedies are safe and effective for Ayurvedic Treatment of Candida Albicans:-
- Restoring a strong and balanced diet, with minimal consumption of packaged food, and consumption of items that are easy to digest play the most vital role in fighting against candida.
- Building up ojas, that is immunity and energy begins with a balanced diet and practice of pranayama, (up to breathing exercises) daily.
- Terminating candida infection through natural herbs and supplements is one of the safest ways to cure it. These include:
- Garlic: The antifungal substance called allicin contained in garlic helps in fighting against the candida yeasts.
- Curcumin: Various test-tube studies indicate that curcumin significantly kills or at least reduces the amount of candida contained in the body.
- Coconut Oil: The high content of lauric acid in the oil helps in fighting against the infection. Its application or consumption of food cooked in coconut oil are both equally effective.
- Aloe-Vera: Aloe vera gel can check candida growth in the mouth and prevent infections.
- Pomegranate: Plant compounds in pomegranate are beneficial in controlling the growth of candida yeasts.
Lifestyle Recommendations for Candida
Certain lifestyle changes can considerably help in preventing the contraction of candida infections or keeping a check on the overgrowth of the fungus. A few of them are:
- Regularizing a moderate amount of exercise in your daily routine helps in boosting op the immune system and fighting against stress.
- Physical and mental stress aggravates the growth of Candida in the body. So it is very important to avoid stress and lead a relaxed life.
- Following a healthy sleeping pattern nourishes the entire body and mind. An adequate amount of sleep must necessarily be taken on a daily basis.
As they say, nothing in the world is more precious than your body. So make sure you take extra care in protecting yourself against infections and diseases this winter to lead a healthy and stress-free life.
For any further queries or assistance, Get in Touch with Us at IAFA®, for we are leading Healthcare providers in Ayurveda and can provide you personalized consultancy for various medical conditions.