दारुणा कण्डुरा रुक्षाकेशभूमिःप्रपाट्यते|
कफवातप्रकोपेण विद्याद्दारुणकं तु तम् ||
The word dandruff (dandruff, dandriffe) is a combination of ‘tan’ meaning ‘tetter’ and ‘drof’ meaning ‘dirty’. Dandruff affects aesthetic value and often causes itching. It has been well established that keratinocytes play a key role in the expression and generation of immunological reactions during dandruff formation.The severity of dandruff may fluctuate with season as it often worsens in winter.
In Ayurveda, it can be correlated with Darunaka. It is a Kapalagata roga (disease of scalp), but Acharya Sushruta has described this disease as a Kshudraroga (minor diseases) due to the vitiation of Vata and Kapha Doshas with symptoms like Kandu (itching on scalp), Keshachyuti (falling of hair), Swapa (abnormalities of touch sensation on scalp), Rookshata (roughness or dryness of the scalp) and Twaksphutana (breaking or cracking of the scalp skin).
Dr. Gupta’s IAFA successfully address this condition and provides very safe and effective treatment for Dandruff.
Causes of Dandruff
There are various reasons which can cause dandruff in hair, e.g. Increased intake of dry, oily, cold, spicy, stress, anxiety, certain diseases such as psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, eczema, hyperactivity of the sebaceous glands such as sweat glands, environmental allergens such as dust, sunlight, soaps, shampoos and even certain types of food are sometimes responsible for dandruff. These factors worsening factors of this complaint.
Ayurvedic reference of Dandruff-Darunaka
- Keshachyuti (Hair fall)
- Kandu (itchy feeling on the scalp)
- Twaksputana (Cracking of the skin)
- Daruna (Dryness followed with crack in the scalp, Appearance of white scales on scalp)
- Daha (Burning sensation)
- Gaura(Heaviness) and
- Toda (Pricking sensation) etc.
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA successfully address this condition and provides very safe and effective treatment for Dandruff. IAFA aspires to be the destination of choice for people seeking authentic Ayurveda healthcare. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® ensures that our health care system better meets the needs of all about your health”.
The Right Care. Right here.!!!Dr. Gupta’sIAFA for your health…….
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet Management in Dandruff
Do’s (Pathya) in Dandruff
- Eating sweeter, juicy fresh fruits, cooked greens and leafy green vegetables with a bitter taste will help in hair treatment.
- fenugreek, turmeric and coriander, cumin, ghee, oil will also help purify fat tissue and strengthen bone tissue.
- Food with good nutritive value; include fiber rich foods, salads, fruits and lentils.
- Adding coconut water to diet and always using healthy fats like ghee in cooking is also recommended.
Don’ts (Apathya) in Dandruff
- Avoid using hot water for hair wash.
- Don’t apply heat and direct sunlight on scalp
- Don’t comb hair before getting dried after wash.
- Avoid excess sugar, salt, dairy products, meat, acidic food
- Avoid spicy, fatty, hot and penetrating foods, junk food, and aerated drinks
Yoga Therapy for Dandruff
- Adho Mukha Savanasana
- Nadishodhana Pranayama
- Bhastrika Pranayama
Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff
The Ayurvedic line of treatment is to normally modify doshas through internal medicines, diet and lifestyle management along with Panchakarma therapy. Some special herbs are administered to purify the body of accumulated digestive impurities
Internal Medicines forDandruff
- Panchatiktaka Kashaya
- Manjishthadi Kashaya
- Mahatiktaka Kashaya
- Triphala Rasayana
- Triphala churna
- Yashti churna
- Bhringaraja Taila
- Triphaladya Taila
- Brahmi Taila
- Malathyadi keram
- Durdurapatradi keram
External therapies forDandruff
- Snehana(Massage): The warm oil head and scalp massage, especially when done with oil medicated with Keshya(hair-nourished) herbs, nourishes the hair and scalp, alleviates dry scalp, enhances circulation.
- Raktamokshana:Bloodletting therapy with Jalaukavacharan can help to remove impurities of blood and it would be also helpful in treatment of dandruff.
- Nasya: Nasya is indicated in all Urdhwa Jatrugatvyadhi (the diseases of heads), medicated oil Nasya would improve the condition of hair.
Single herbs used in Dandruff
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
- Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist