Acne (Mukhadushika- Youvanpidika-Tarunyapidika)
शाल्मलीकण्डकागारपिटका: सरुजोघना: l
Acne is a skin problem that mainly affects teenagers. It is caused by obstruction of hair follicles and result in white heads, black heads or pimples. It is related to hormone levels, life style, nature of skin etc. Acne is not only a physical issue but may also affect psychological and social aspects of an individual. Ayurveda explains about Mukhadushika which is having same manifestation of Acne. IAFA promises effective Ayurvedic management for acne. Dr.Gupta’s IAFAis the ultimate center for revitalizing your skin through Ayurveda.
Causes of Acne
Acne is caused by different reasons. Major four reasons are listed below:
- Bacterial infection
- Excess oil secretion
- Oil and dead skin cells getting clogged in hair follicles
- Excess activity of androgen hormone
- Family History
Hair follicles are directly connected to oil producing glands. Clogging of hair follicles with oil and other particles result in formation of acne. Stress, certain medications, carbohydrate rich diet etc. increase the risk of affection with acne.
Ayurveda says Acne is caused by reasons that vitiate Kapha and Vatadosha. The reasons are related with food habits, exposure to dust and wind, mental factors etc.
Ayurvedic Reference of Acne-Mukhadushika
Symptoms of Acne
Signs and symptoms of acne vary in each individual. It is mainly expressed on face, forehead, chest, upper back and shoulder region as these areas have more oil glands. Major manifestations include:
- Whiteheads (Closed pores)
- Blackheads (opened pores)
- Small, red bumps which are tender – Papules
- Papules with pus at their tips
- Large and solid painful lumps beneath the skin surface – nodules
- Painful and pus-filled lumps beneath the skin surface – cystic lesions
- Raised red spots with a white center – Pimples.
Ayurveda says acne will be painful, hard, deep seated and also pus filled.
“Dr.Gupta’s ensures authentic and fruitful Ayurvedic handling of Acne. Now IAFA is here so that Acne will no longer hurt your beauty and dignity. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is the ultimate center for revitalizing your skin through Ayurveda”.
Reach IAFA for real rejuvenation and beauty care!!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
DIAGNOSIS OF ACNE VULGARIS (MUKHDUSHIKA) AS PER AYURVEDA
Accurate diagnosis of acne vulgaris can be followed by Nidan Panchak in Ayurveda.
Causative factors Acne (Mukhdushika) as per Ayurveda is called Nidan
Aahar (Food Habits)
- Virudha Aahar (wrong food combinations such as fruits with milk, milk with fish, etc.),
- Excessively spicy, salty & sour food, curd, and upvasa (fasting).
- Krodh (Anger),
- Stress etc.
Vihara (Physical Activities)
- Ati Vyayam (Excessive Physical Exercise),
- Ati Jagran (Sleeping Late at Night),
- Daytime Sleep after lunch,
- Vegvidharana (Suppression of Nature Urges)
- At Young/ Teen Age.
Predominant Symptoms of Acne Vulgaris (Mukhdushika) as per Ayurveda are called Purvaroop
Purvroop in nidan panchak has its own significance because these are symptoms that are produced by the body before appearance of acne on face. These purvaroop symptoms behave as an alarm to patients and a very helpful diagnostic tool for an ayurvedic practitioner. Acne Vulgaris if treated at this stage, is easily easily curable.
- Sparshagyatvama (Loss of Touch Sensation)
- Ati Sweda (Excess Sweat)
- Asweda (No Sweat)
- Vaivarnya (Discoloration of Skin)
- Koth (Appearance of Rash)
- Kandu (Itching)
- Toda (Piercing Pain)
- Shool (Pain),
- Daah (Burning Sensation),
- Rukshta (Dryness),
- Asrijah Krishnta (Reddish Black Discoloration of Skin),
- Kharata (Excess Roughness),
- Saptagata (Numbness).
Signs of Acne Vulgaris (Mukhdushika) as per Ayurveda is Roop
Roop in nidan panchak are the symptoms that are easily identified by an intuitive ayurvedic practitioner to get the accurate differential diagnosis.
- Shalmali Kantakara (just like Thorn of Shalmali)
- Shopha (Swelling)
- Saruja (Pain)
- Ghan (Hard and Thick)
- Medogarbhamukhi (Collection of Fatty Material inside Boil)
- Daha (Burning Pain),
- Kandu (Itching),
- Vedana (Pain),
- Raktima (in Red colour).
Acne Vulgaris (Mukhdushika) method of examination by Ayurveda is Upshyay
To identify the disease whose manifestation isn’t clear, Upshyay can be used. Upshyay means various examination methods to reach proper diagnosis.
Acne Vulgaris (Mukhdushika) stages of formation of disease is Samprapti
Above Sloka explains that Shalmali Thorn (a plant) like eruption on face caused by Vitiliated Kapha (Life Force), Vata (Life Force) and Rakta (Blood) are known as Mukhdushika harm to the beauty of the face. This causes disruption of the face and often occurs at young age, hence called as Youvanpidika. Mukhdushika is explained under Kshudrarog in Ayurveda.
Diet Management of Acne
- Take light food
- Have lot of fruits and salads
- Drink plenty of water
- Wash face frequently with warm water
- Adequate sleep
- Regular steaming of face till complete sweating
- Daily exercise
- Eat astringent and bitter taste herbs to detoxify the body
Apathya (Don’t s)
- Avoid non-vegetarian food especially egg
- Avoid fried & oily food
- Decrease use of black gram &pappad
- Avoid mayonnaise
- Avoid journey to places with excess dust
- Reduce stress
- Avoid touching on pimples
- Avoid unnecessary make ups and greasy skin products
- Avoid pollution and direct exposure to sunlight
Yoga and Pranayama for Acne
Following asanas (postures) will be beneficial in reducing causes and effects of acne:
Pranayama is very beneficial to relieve stress, which is a leading reason for acne. It also helps to open up body channels and thus makes the skin to breathe properly.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Acne
Ayurveda has effective treatment for acne focusing on removing the impurities from the root itself. It includes internal and external medicines as well as purification therapies.
Internal Medicines for Acne
- Lepana (Application of medicated paste)
- Raktamoksa (Blood-letting)
- Nasya (Nasal administration of medicated liquids)
- Vamana (Emesis)
- Virechana (Purgation)
Single Herbs used in the management of Acne
- RaktaChandana (Pterocarpussantalinus)
- Nimba (Azadirchtaindica)
- Lodra (Symplocosracemosa)
- Vacha (Acoruscalamus)
- Kumari (Aloe vera)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist