In this article, we shall discuss the causes of low platelet count, symptoms of low platelet count, and effective tips as per Ayurveda to increase platelet count naturally.
What are Platelets?
Platelets, also known as thrombocytes are colorless blood cells that are responsible for the clotting of blood in case of any injury. Platelets are produced in the bone marrow and help in controlling bleeding by forming plugs and clumping the blood post an injury.
If the platelet count in one’s body goes down, it leads to excessive bleeding which may cause further complications. This condition is known as Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP).
Causes of Low Platelet Count
Certain factors can lead to low production of platelets in the bone marrow. These factors include:
- Different types of anemia
- Viral infections
- Chemotherapy drugs
- Radiation therapy
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Cancers like leukemia
Symptoms of Low Platelet Count
- Easy and excessive bruising
- Blood in stools or urine
- Heavy menstrual flow
- Bleeding gums or nose
- Excessive and prolonged bleeding from wounds and cuts
- Reddish purple spots on the lower legs
- Superficial bleeding into the skin
Ayurvedic Treatment of Low Platelet Count
For Ayurvedic treatment of low platelet count, Ayurveda suggests various home remedies, herbal formulations, natural herbs, yoga asanas, and therapies that can help in increasing the platelet count naturally.
Home Remedies to Increase Platelet Count Naturally
- Pumpkin and Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin nutrients help in the production of protein which is required for platelet formation. Pumpkin is also a rich source of Vitamin A which is also responsible for platelet development.
- Lime Juice: Lemon is a rich source of Vitamin C that helps in platelet production and also increases the immunity of the body which in turn protects these cells from radical damage.
- Papaya and Its Leaves: Papaya considerably helps in increasing platelet count by initiating its production. Daily consumption of papaya or juice prepared with papaya leaves can help in boosting platelet production.
- Indian Gooseberry: Amla or the Indian Gooseberry is another rich source of Vitamin C that helps in platelet production. It also contains antioxidants that help in protecting the body against various infections that may lead to platelet loss.
- Beetroot: Beetroot also helps in protecting the platelet cells against radical damage. Daily consumption of beetroot juice can help in increasing your platelet count.
- Wheatgrass: Wheatgrass is high in chlorophyll and has a molecular structure similar to hemoglobin. Wheatgrass juice with a dash of lemon can be taken regularly to increase platelet production.
- Raisins: Raisins are a rich source of iron and help in increasing the production of platelet cells in the body as iron deficiency can become a major cause of low platelet count.
- Pomegranate: Pomegranate is packed with the goodness of antioxidants and iron and also contains anti-inflammatory and immunity-boosting properties. These properties make it an excellent source to boost platelet production.
- Spinach: Spinach contains Vitamin K which helps in blood clotting and prevents blood loss. Spinach juice also helps in increasing platelet count.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is a blood purifying agent and also protects the body against infections. Consequently, taking care of the platelet count.
Taking care of your health and protecting the body against infections is very important when it comes to maintaining the required amount of platelet cells in the body. So eat healthy, rich, and fibrous foods to boost platelet production in your system and increase your immunity.
To know more, or to get a doctor’s consultation, contact us at IAFA® to begin your Ayurvedic journey to internal healing.