Did you know that our great-great-great-grandparents believed that all illnesses stemmed from the stomach and were caused either directly or indirectly by poor digestion? At Seniority, we have a variety of herbs, Ayurvedic remedies, and supplements that can aid you with gastrointestinal issues. So, let’s know about the top 5 herbs to support the complete digestion of a wide range of foods.
Top 5 Herbs for Digestive Health
1) Chotti Dudhi (Euphorbia Thymifolia)
- Chotti dudhi works as an antimicrobial herb that stops the growth of microbes in the gastrointestinal tract.
- As per Ayurveda, it increases digestive fire and balances ama visha in the body.
- Its phytoconstituents work as natural anti-allergic because they contain glycosides and fatty acids that treat food allergic conditions.
- Due to the cooling effect on the stomach, it neutralizes the excessive acidic content.
2) Nirgundi (Vitex Negundo)
- Nirgundi is a very unique and versatile herb that has various natural properties like anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and analgesic.
- This herb contains phytoconstituents like vanillin, vanillic acid, luteolin, etc. that maintain the proper digestion process and hence treat abdominal pain.
- It also releases gas and treats swelling in the stomach which is mainly caused due to indigestion.
3) Shrifal (Aegle Marmelos)
- Shrifal has antimicrobial properties that lower the colonization of harmful microbes in the gastrointestinal tract thus treating diarrhea.
- This fruit comprises various phytoconstituents like mucilage and tannin that reduces the secretion of gastric contents and thus prevent damage to the abdominal lining
- Its tannin also works as an anti-inflammatory which eases the stomach upset by reducing inflammation in the GI tract.
4) Bhoomi Amla (Phyllanthus Niruri)
- Bhoomi Amla maintains the action of digestive enzymes and improves digestion.
- As per Ayurveda, it is considered good in acidity due to its pitta balancing property.
- It also prevents ulcer formation by reducing the production of gastric acid as well as protecting against the damage to the stomach lining caused by gastric acid.
- Being a hepatoprotective, it manages liver disorders and maintains the proper functioning of the liver.
5) Punarnava (Boerhavia Diffusa)
- Punarnava is a potent digestive agent that stimulates the secretion of digestive juices and hence increases the absorption of essential nutrients.
- This herb contains fiber that adds bulk to the stool and aids in healthy bowel movements.
- Its phytoconstituents like punarnavine, tetracosanoic, stearic acid, myristic acid, etc. work as a natural anti-allergic and hence treat allergic conditions due to pitta and Kapha dosha.
Tips for A Healthy Digestive System
- Consume an Appropriate Amount of Water.
- Add Probiotics to your diet.
- Eat foods that are high in fiber.
- Chew your food thoroughly.
- Exercise on a regular basis.
Herbal Remedies for Digestive Disorders
Aahar Amrutham Ras
IAFA® (Institute of applied food allergy®) provides you Aahar Amrutham Ras, which is an Ayurvedic formulation carefully formulated with 5 potent Ayurvedic herbs that are explained above. These are helpful in the alleviation of food-related health ailments in the body due to improper food habits or incorporation of foreign and unfamiliar food. The swaras contain ingredients like Bhumi Amla, Nirgundi, Choti Dudhi, etc. This combination has extensive gastrointestinal repair and care properties by reducing microbial activities in the stomach and assuring a good digestive fire balance to eliminate.
We always suggest that before using any herbal remedies you must consult with an Ayurveda expert. Book an appointment for a consultation now.