Urinary Tract Infection in Children (Mutrakruchra)
Urinary Tract Infection in Children- Mutrakruchra
A Urinary Tract Infectionoccurs when bacteria enters the urine and travels up to urinary bladder. It is generally abbreviated as UTI.It is common in about 8 out of 100 girls and 2 out of 100 boys. Young children are at more risk of kidney damage related to UTI than older children or adults. In Ayurveda, the symptoms of UTI are similarly explained as Mutrakruchra. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is an institute that offers effective mannagement for various diseases. IAFA is constantly at its pace to provide excellent Ayurvedic treatment to children through its Ayurpediatric department.
Causes of Urinary Tract Infection
Normal urine does not haveany bacteria in it. Large number of bacteria will be present on the skin in and around the rectal area and also in stools. These bacteriasometimes travel up the urethra into the bladder. Then, the bacteria multiply and can lead to infection.
Two common abnormalities related to UTI in children are:
- Vesico-ureteral Reflux: In vesicoureteral reflux, the urine flows backwards from the bladder towards the ureters to the kidneys. This urine may contain bacteria from the bladder.It can cause serious kidney infection called pyelonephritis.
- Urinary Obstruction :Urine flow may get blocked at various places in the urinary tract. These are mostly caused by abnormally narrow areas in the urinary tract.This prevents normal flow of urine out of the body.
Ayurvedic reference of UTI
Signs & Symptoms of UTI
Older children may complain of following symptoms:
- Pain in the lowerabdominal area or back
- Need for frequent urination
- Child may cry when he or she urinates
- Complainsofpainduring urination
- Pass only a few drops of urine
- Reduced control on urine excretion
- Bed wetting
An infant or too young child may show following signs:
- High fever or low-grade fever
- Loss of appetite
- Loose stools
- General weakness
- Foul smelling urine
Types of UTI
Basically there are 2 types of UTIs:
- Bladder infection
- Kidney infection
If the infection is in the bladder, it results in swelling and pain of the bladder. This is called cystitis.
If the bacteria travel up from the bladder through the ureters and reach kidneys, the kidneys get infected andthe condition is called pyelonephritis.
Kidney infections are more serious than bladder infections. It can harm the kidneys, especially in young children.
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is an institute that offers effective management for various diseases. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is constantly at its pace to provide excellent Ayurvedic treatment to children through its Ayurpediatric department.
Make IAFA the finest destination for ensuring your Family Health!!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Urinary Tract Infection in children
Do’s (Pathya) in Urinary Tract Infection in children
- Drink a lot of warm water, even if not thirsty
- Pomegranate juice
- Light and easily digestible food
- Frequent intake of small amounts of warm water
- Consume hot & fresh food only
- Green gram
- Take vegetables with bitter taste
- Mild exercises
- Take enough rest
Don’ts (Apathya) in Urinary Tract Infection in children
- Spicy food
- Acidic fruits
- Non vegetarian food
- Fatty and heavy food
- Cold water
- Fried and bakery food
- Alcohol consumption
- Day sleep
Yoga and Pranayama in Urinary Tract Infection in children
Yoga practice helps in improving strength of body’s immunity. It helps to reduce severity of infection.
Pranayama provides control over body movements. It helps to bring relaxation to mind.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Urinary Tract Infection in Children
Ayurveda put forwards effective treatment for urinary tract infectio infection by combining internal medicines and external therapies.
Internal Medicines for Urinary Tract Infection in children
- Brihatyadi Kashaya
- Punarnavadi Kashaya
- Trinapanchamoola Kashaya
External medicines Urinary Tract Infection in children
Treatment Procedures for Urinary Tract Infection in children
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Abhyanga (medicated oil massage)
- Swedana (fomentation)
- Vasthi (medicated enema)
Single Herbs in the Management Urinary Tract Infection in children
- Gokshura (Tribulusterrestris)
- Punarnava (Boerrhaviadiffusa)
- Brihati (Solanumindicum)
- Kusha (Desmostachyabipinnata)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Nimba (Azadirachtaindica)
- Vibheetaki (Terminalia bellerica)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist