Head lice (Krimi)
..................... बाह्यास्तत्रामृजोत्भवा: l
तिलप्रमाणसंस्थानवर्णा: केशाम्बराश्रया: ll
बहुपादाश्चसूक्ष्माश्चयूक्षालिक्षाश्चनामत: l (अ.हृ.नि.१४/४३)
Head lice are tiny insects that live on human scalp. They feed on blood from the scalp. It usually affects children, especially those at school going age.It generally spreads by the direct transfer from one person to another.Presence of head lice results in severe itching on scalp and also physical, mental and social discomforts. Ayurveda explains the concept of Krimi that deals with such worms and insects that attack various body parts. Dr.Gupta’s IAFA is assuring the best Ayurvedic methods to completely get rid of head lice. IAFA is the most reliable institution that provides fruitful treatment for various ailments in children, through its Ayurpediatric department.
Causes of Head Lice
A head louse is an insect having an average size of a strawberry seed. It lives on human scalp and takes blood from the scalp for its living. The female louse lays eggs and these eggs are fixed to the base of hair shaft by means of a sticky substance. Six to ten eggs are laid by the female louse per day. Eggs get hatched after six to nine days. After nine to twelve days immature louse called nymphs, become mature. Mature lice live for three to four weeks. Head lice transfer directly from hair of one person to that of another. Also it spreads by sharing hats, scarf, brushes and combs, hair accessories, headphones, pillows, towels etc.
Ayurveda suggests the reason for affection by Bahya Krimi (insects attacking external body) is unhygienic body due to lack of bathing and washing. These insects depend on body hairs as well as dress that are worn.
Ayurvedic refrence of Head lice-Krimi
Symptoms of Head Lice
Major signs and symptoms seen in lice infestation are:
- Itching – The most irritating and common symptom in lice infestation is itching over scalp, neck and ears. Itching is due to allergic reaction to lice bites. Itching usually occur four to six weeks after primary lice infestation.
- Visible Lice – Lice are difficult to identifysince they are small and move quickly.
- Presence of Lice eggs on hair– Lice eggsor nits stick to hair shafts. Nits are easy to spot around the ears and at the hairline of neck. Empty nits are lighter in colour and lie away from the scalp. The presence of nits doesn’t always indicate an infestation.
- Rashes on scalp and neck – Scratching can result information of small, red bumps and rashes that can get infected with bacteria.
Ayurveda explains the symptoms caused by lice infestation are rashes, bumps, itching, swelling etc.
“Dr.Gupta’s IAFA is assuring the best Ayurvedic methods to completely get rid of head lice. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is the most reliable institution that provides fruitful treatment for various ailments in children, through its Ayurpediatric department”.
Make IAFA the finest destination for ensuring your Family Health!!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Head Lice Infestation
Do’s (Pathya) in Head Lice Infestation
- Maintain good personal hygiene
- Bath regularly
- Use clean garments
- Hang children’s garments on a separate hook
- Keep personal equipment like comb, hair accessories, towel etc. neat and clean
- Less fatty and non-oily food
- Bitter food items
Don’ts (Apathya) in Head Lice Infestation
- Avoid sharing combs, brushes, hats and scarves
- Avoid lying on beds, couches etc. that are used byothers infested with head lice
- Milk and dairy products
- Non-vegetarian diet
- Sour and sweet food items
Yoga and Pranayama in Head Lice
Various Yoga procedures help in reducing stress and anxiety. Yoga postures may not have any direct contact with removing lice from head. But it helps to reduce hair fall and to increase blood circulation to scalp. Following are some of the useful yoga postures:
- Balayam yoga mudra
- Pada hasthasana
- Uthana padasana
Pranayama helps to increase blood circulation to head and scalp. It balances movement of air inside the body.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Head Lice
Ayurveda has well explained various methods to get rid of head lice. It includes internal medicines, external therapies as well as purification techniques to ensure complete cure and to prevent recurrence.
Internal Medicines for Head Lice
- Gulucyadi Kashaya
- Manjishtadi Kashaya
- Patoladi Kashaya
- Avipathy Churna
External Medicines for Head Lice
- Triphala churna
- Vidanga Churna
- Aragwadhadi Kashaya
- Malathyadi Taila
External Therapies for Head Lice
- Lepana (Application of medicinal paste)
- Kshalana (Washing)
- Dhumapana (Inhalation of medicated smoke)
Purification Therapy in Head Lice
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Vasti (Enema)
- Nasya (Nasal administration of medicine)
Single Herbs in Head Lice
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
- Kushta (Saussurea lappa)
- Sirisha (Albizia lebbeck)
- Nimba (Azadirachta indica)
- Palasa (Butea monosperma)
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist