Ear Infection in Children (Karnakandu-Karnasopha)
Ear Infection in Children- Karnakandu-Karnasopha
It is the type of infection that occurs commonly in children. Ear infection usually refers to infection of middle ear. It happens commonly when water or mucus gets filled behind ear drum and bacteria grow in it. The condition is medically called as Otitis media. It is more common in children because of the structural peculiarity of their ear and also due to their reduced immune power. Ayurveda explains the condition of ear infection as Karnakandu&Karnasopha. There is detailed description of causes, signs, symptoms and treatment of ear infection. Dr.Gupta’s IAFA is certain about proper Ayurvedic treatment for ear infection. As the condition is more common in children, IAFA has intimate concern about its complete cure and ensures the same.
Symptoms of Ear Infection in Children
The symptoms differ in different types of ear infection. In acute otitis media there may be ear ache and fever. In ear infection with effusion there may not be any symptoms. Chronic infection can even affect hearing in children. Other common signs expressed by affected children include:
- Pulling ears
- Sleep disturbances
- Oozing of fluid from ears
- Loss of body balance
- Problems with response to sounds
The symptoms described in Ayurveda include severe itching, swelling etc.
Ayurvedic Reference of Ear Infection in Children- Karnakandu-Karnasopha
Causes of Ear Infection in Children
Usually ear infection is caused by bacterial attack in children. When child has sore, throat, cold etc. due to bacterial infection, the same bacteria may spread to middle ear. Due to the infection, there will be further filling of fluid behind the ear drum. In children, due to the reduced length and straight structure of Eustachian tube, accumulated fluid will not get emptied easily. This results in easy occurrence of ear infection in children.
In Ayurveda, the reasons for ear infection are explained as excess exposure to snow, water, severe noise etc.
Types of Ear Infection in Children
There are mainly three types of Ear infection in children. They are:
- Acute Otitis Media
It is the most common type of ear infection. Some parts of middle ear get infected and become swollen resulting fluid accumulation behind the eardrum.
- Otitis Media with Effusion
It occurswhen an ear infection has already completed its course and fluid remains trapped behind the eardrum.
- Chronic Otitis Media with Effusion
It happens when fluid gets retained in the middle ear for a long time or comes back again and again even without infection.
“Institute of Applied Food Allergy® provides genuine Ayurvedic treatment for the management of otitis media in children. IAFA has always focused in delivering absolute management for all types of allergies in children through its Ayurpediatric department.”
Listen to IAFA & make your child’s ear disease free!!!
-Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFAⓇ
Diet in ear infection in children
Do’s (Pathya) in Ear Infection of Children
- Light and easily digestible food
- Intake of lesser quantity of food
- Frequent intake of small amounts of warm water
- Consume hot & fresh food only
- Green gram
- Take vegetables with bitter taste
- Mild exercises
- Take enough rest
Don’ts (Apathya) in Ear Infection of Children
- Non vegetarian food
- Fatty and heavy food
- Cold water
- Fried and bakery food
- Alcohol consumption
- Head bathing
- Day sleep
- Application of oil on head
- Use of A/C room
- Journey, especially on window seat
Yoga and Pranayama in ear infection in children
Yoga practice helps in improving strength of body’s immunity. It helps to reduce severity of infection.
Pranayama provides control over body movements. It helps to bring relaxation to mind and prepares mind to face adverse situations like pain and other discomforts.
Ayurvedic Treatment of ear infection in children
Ayurveda put forwards effective treatment for ear infection by combining internal medicines and external therapies.
Internal Medicines for ear infection in children
- Pathyashadanga kwatha
- Sirasulaadrivajra rasa
External medicines ear infection in children
Treatment Procedures for ear infection in children
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Karnapoorana (filling medicated liquids in ears)
- Nasya (Nasal administration of medicine)
- Lepana (Application of medicated paste)
Single Herbs in the Management of Treatment
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Nimba (Azadirachtaindica)
- Vilwa (Aeglemarmelos)
- Asana (Pterocarpusmarsupium)
- Vibheetaki (Terminaliabellerica)
- Nirgundi (Vitexnegundo)
- Ashtang Hrudaya by Vagbhata, Utharasthana, Karnarogavijnaneeya (Chapter 17), Shlok 12.
- Acharaya Sushruta. Sushruta Samhita. Ayurved Tatva Sandipani by Ambikadutt Shastri, editor. Varanasi: Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan; Sutra Sthana, 45/112 – 113, 2006. p. 178.
- Sarangadharacharya, Pandit Parasurama Shastri, Vidyasagar editor. Sarangadharasamhita Madhymakhanda, Varanasi: Chaukhambha Orientalia; 2016. p. 204.
- Chakrapanidatta. Chakradatta. Ramnath Dwivedi. Editor. Varanasi: Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan; 2005. p. 269.
- Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Aspects of Allergies and Fungal Infections, Edition 2021, Fungal Ear Infection Chapter No. 43, Page No. 272-276.
- Child Health and Ayurveda, Edition 2021, by Sahil Gupta, Ear Infection Chapter No. 23, Page No. 98-102.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)