Priyala – Buchanania Latifolia
Priyala – Buchanania Latifolia
Priyala, commonly known as Cudappa almond is one of most commonly used herb for the alleviation of inflammatory conditions and allergic conditions. The name Priyala means that it nourishes body. Priyala is found grown throughout India and is used in many diseases. It is also used in allergic diseases of skin.
Institute of Applied food Allergy guided by Dr. Gupta, have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Priyala and proven the plant’s therapeutic activities like Anticancer, Anti-inflammatory, Nervine tonic, Cardio tonic, Stomachic, Laxative, Diuretic, Aphrodisiac, Febrifuge actions etc. Priyalacan be used in various diseases like Diarrhoea, Emaciation, Heart diseases, Digestive disorders etc. The methanolic root extract of Priyala have antimicrobial actions and can be used as a topical antimicrobial agent. It is also used for early wound healing. The presence of chemo preventive phytoconstituents in ethanolic root extract of Priyala offer protection against geno toxicity and oxidative stress. Nowadays Priyala is also used for treating allergic conditions.
Action of Priyala – Buchanania Latifoliain Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Priyala. The plant contains phytoconstituents like amino acids, carbohydrates, vitamins, gallotannins, triterpenoids, saponins, anacardic acid, cardol, cardanol, phenols etc. These phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic and anti-inflammatory property of Priyala. It can be effectively used to alleviate skin allergic conditions.
Vernacular Names and Classification
|Botanical name||Buchanania Latifolia|
|Sanskrit Name||Priyala, Dhanu, Pata|
|English Name||Cudappa almond|
|Kannada Name||Kolegeru, Murkali|
Ayurveda Reference of Priyala – Buchanania Latifolia
Morphology of Priyala – Buchanania Latifolia
- It is a tall tree
- Stem are straight and branched
- Leaves are thick coriaceous
- Inflorescence is terminal or axillary panicle
- Flowers are greenish white
- Fruits are drupe
Geographical Distribution of Priyala – Buchanania Latifolia
Priyala is found growing throughout India in deciduous forest.
Phytoconstituents of Priyala – Buchanania Latifolia
The plant contains phytoconstituents like amino acids, carbohydrates, vitamins, gallotannins, triterpenoids, saponins, anacardic acid, cardol, cardanol, phenols etc.
Parts Used of Priyala – Buchanania Latifolia
- Root bark
Dosage of Priyala – Buchanania Latifolia
- Seed pulp (bijamajja) – 10-20 g
- Decoction of bark (twakkwatha) – 50-100 ml
Medicinal Properties of Priyala – Buchanania Latifolia
- Vrisya – aphrodisiac
- Hridya – cures heart diseases
- Balya – promote strength
- Dahasamaka – relieves burning sensation
- Trisnahara – cures excessive thirst
- Prinanartha – useful for nourishment
- Atisaraghna – cures diarrhoea
- Pravahikahara – useful in dysentery
Home Remedies of Priyala – Buchanania Latifolia
Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine which focused on lifestyle modifications along with medicines in treating diseases. The treatment system adopted by Ayurveda is purely based on naturally available herbs. Priyala is one of the commonly growing plant and due to its high medicinal value, it is used in treating many diseases like,
- For nourishment (Prinanartha) – A sweet bolus prepared of Priyala, Glycyrrhizaglabra, honey, parched paddy and sugar candy is given to child who has left the breast milk.
- In Blood mixed diarrhoea (Raktatisara) – Bark of Priyala is mixed with honey and ghee and taken.
- In Excessive thirst (Trisna) – Powder of Priyala bark is processed with water and is used to drink.
- In Dysentery (Pravahika) – Decoction of bark of Priyala is taken with honey to check dysentery.
- In Burning sensation (Daha) – The Priyala is powdered and taken with milk.
- As Carminative (Deepana) – Priyala powdered and taken before food. It can act as a carminative.
- In abdominal pain (Udarasula) – Powdered Priyala along with honey is administered.
- In Diarrhoea (Atisara) – Priyala is powdered and taken with honey.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist