Lavanga (Syzygium aromaticum)
Lavanga - Syzygium aromaticum
Lavanga, commonly known as ‘Cloves’ is a pyramidal or conical evergreen tree, a large shrub or small tree which is cultivated mainly in Southern India. The name ‘Lavanga’ indicates that it will expel the Kapha dosha. The word ‘Syzygium’ means caryophyllus and ‘aromaticum’ indicates the aroma or scent of Cloves. Clove is a most commonly used Indian spice and it have great medicinal values. It is used in the treatment of various diseases.
Dr.Gupta’sIAFAconducted various studies in Cloves to find out the therapeutic actions of the herb. Our experts have successfully proven the activities like Dental analgesic, Carminative, Stimulant, Aromatic, Antiseptic, Appetizer, Digestive, Aphrodisiac and Antiallergic property of Lavanga. It has been also found out that eugenol extracted from clove oil have antiproliferative action on cancer cells. Cloves also possess antiulcer and purgative action. On topical application, the essential oil extracted from Clove relieves pain and promote wound healing. Gastrointestinal tract diseases can be treated by administering boiled aqueous extract of Clove.
Action of Lavanga - Syzygium aromaticum in Allergies
IAFA experts are putting continuous efforts to prove the antiallergic property of Clove. The plant contains 15- 20% volatile oil, 10- 13% tannin, resin, chromone and eugenin. Volatile oil contain eugenol(70- 90%), eugenol acetate, caryophyllenes, esters, ketones, alcohols etc. Thus it is used as an anti allergic and antimicrobial agent. It also pacifies aggravated Kapha and Pitta doshas. So Clove as powder or oil is used against allergic reactions due to Kapha and Pitta dosha.
Vernacular Names and Botanical Classification
|Botanical Name||Syzygium aromaticum|
|Sanskrit Name||Lavanga, Candanapushpa|
Ayurveda reference of Lavanga - Syzygium aromaticum
Morphology of Lavanga - Syzygium aromaticum
- Pyramidal or conical evergreen tree, a large shrub or small tree.
- Fragrant and lanceolate leaves in pairs.
- Flower-buds borne in small clusters at the ends of branches.
- Flowers sessile, in terminal compound.
- Fruits drupe, fleshy, dark, pink.
Geographical distribution of Lavanga - Syzygium aromaticum
Cloves plant is cultivated in Southern India, Zangibar and Peruba (Pemba) and Kerala, Tamilnadu, Sri Lanka, Mauritius, South-east Asian countries (particularly Java, Sumatra, Borneo, Indonesia).
Phytoconstituents of Lavanga - Syzygium aromaticum
The plant contains 15- 20% volatile oil, 10- 13% tannin, resin, chromone and eugenin. Volatile oil contain eugenol(70- 90%), eugenol acetate, caryophyllenes, esters, ketones, alcohols etc.
Parts used of Lavanga - Syzygium aromaticum
- Flower bud
Dosage of Lavanga - Syzygium aromaticum
- Powder(churna)- 250 mg – 1 g
- Oil (taila) – 4-6 drops
Medicinal Properties of Lavanga - Syzygium aromaticum
- Kasa hara – relieves cough
- Dantaula hara – relieves toothache
- Swasahara – relieves asthma
- Dipana – carminative
- Pacana – digestant
- Chardighna – useful in vomiting
- Vishaghna – useful in poisoning
- Jwaraghna – Cures fever
Home remedies of Lavanga - Syzygium aromaticum
From ancient times itself Ayurveda is widely used in India. It used many herbs that are seen around to treat diseases. Lavanga or Clove is a commonly used spice in India. As it is easily available and of its high medicinal value it is used in treating many diseases like,
- To Clean mouth (Mukhavaisadyartha) – To clean mouth one can keep flower buds of Lavanga in mouth for 15-20 mins. It can cure bad odour also.
- In Pain due to Vata(Vatarti samanartha) – Paste prepared of Lavanga with water is applied over site of pain. The mixture can relieve pain immediately
- In Thirst (Pipasa) – Clove added to a glass of water if taken will relieve thirst.
- In Anorexia (Aruci) – Flower buds of Clove kept in mouth can increase taste sensation.
- In Nausea (Utklesa) – Cloves are added to a glass of water and taken internally to alleviate nausea.
- In Hoarseness of voice (Swara bheda) – Honey taken along with the powder of Lavanga can cure Hoarseness of voice.
- In Toothache (Dantasula) – Clove is kept between tooth or Clove paste is applied over gums can cure toothache.
- In Weak digestion (Agnimandya) – Water processed with Cloves are taken in case of weak digestion.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist