So many responsibilities plugin as a new parent, but the first and foremost priority is your newborn’s health. Up to 6 months of age, babies must be on milk feed only, they can’t be given solids and the milk should fulfil their nutritional requirements and must aid in their mental development and physical growth. So, you must make a wise choice about which milk to be fed to your baby.
No doubt, breast milk is the best and irreplaceable. But, unfortunately, due to some situations, if you are choosing baby formula to feed your baby, then this article is for you. We have covered you right from choosing the best baby formula keeping in mind your baby’s requirements to how much you need to feed and when you can stop feeding.
Have a good read!
Which Brand to Choose From?
Many brands are coming up in India with proper nutritional necessities. Even though every formula is made by keeping in mind the precautions that need to be taken, the following are things you need to keep in mind when you choose a particular formula:-
- Baby formula with A2 milk protein.
- Must ingredients like DHA, probiotics, iron, iodine, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
- Ensure the packing of the product must be leakage proof and of good quality.
If you want to know which brands are producing formulas with A2 milk, then we suggest you read this.
Types of Baby Formula Available and Which You Should Go For?
Based on the type of protein used, there are 4 types of baby formula:-
- Cow milk protein formula: This baby formula consists of either A1 milk protein or A2 milk protein. This is the better and safe option to start with.
- Hydrolyzed formula: If your baby is suffering from any kind of allergies when cow milk formula is consumed, then this can be the best option for you. This formula has the proteins broken down. so that they can be absorbed completely.
- Goat milk-based formula: It is usually said that goat milk has more nutrients than cow milk and if your baby goes well with this, then this will be the picky one.
- Soy-based formula: If you don’t want to include animal proteins or if your newborn is allergic to any of the above-mentioned formulas, then go for this. It fulfils every nutritional need of your infant.
Okay, so, if you are clear with which formula suits your baby, then check out the ingredients that must be present in your formula.
Ingredients that Must be Ticked on in Your Chosen Formula
- DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid): This super ingredient helps in the cognitive development of the child.
- Iron: As the baby will be on milk-only feed, it is necessary to fulfil the iron needs of the body, as it will help in the overall growth of the baby.
- Probiotics: Probiotics will be aiding in making the formulas to be gentle on the stomach of the newborn.
- Lactoferrin: It aids in the transport of iron and has numerous benefits.
- Choline and vitamin E: They both help in the development of the eye and brain.
So, you got a clear picture of the ingredients that are essential and why they are needed. No need, that your formula must contain all of these but having most of these will be advised to choose.
How Much Do You Need to Feed?
- First days: You need to feed 50-100 mL of milk every 2-3 hours. If your baby is of low birth weight, then the frequency must be more often and the quantity can be reduced.
- First few weeks to 6 months: Around 150- 200 mL of milk every 3-4 hours.
- After 6 months: Talk with your doctor about whether the formula is needed or can be stopped or should be supplemented. After 6 months, reduce the amount of milk given to kids and start including solids in their diet.
Even though the quantity is mentioned here and you can also find it on the backside of the package, as a mother you can be the best detector of your child’s hunger.
Pro Tip: “Feed when the baby is hungry”.
When Can You Stop Using Baby Formula?
Up to 6 months of age, baby formula or breast milk or both is a must because, in this stage, the baby is away from the intake of solid food, so, milk is given often. After 6 months, start with easily digestible solids which have nutrients required for their brain development and physical growth. You can stop the formula when:-
- The baby is having enough solid foods.
- The baby’s growth is perfect and active.
- The baby doesn’t crave milk.
- You notice proper organ development.
- You notice that the baby is immune against minute infections.
If all the above indications are noticed, the. Kudos to you, you have taken good care of your child. You can continue using baby formula along with solids or when you feel like giving it to the child once or twice a day.
A Quick Wrap
That’s a long read, but we hope you enjoyed reading it and got some vital info for you and your child. Team IAFA strives to bring you awareness about the milk you are feeding your newborn. Because milk if not chosen properly can have ill effects on a child’s health.
If your child is having any milk intolerances or allergies, don’t think twice, book an online consultation now with Dr. Sahil Gupta, you will not regret it and will surely thank us later. We are not bragging, but, yes, his therapy is worldwide known for the use of ancient Ayurveda and has been treated successfully by 50,000+ patients till now.
We are grateful to know your suggestions and thoughts, please email us the same. We will see you next time again with fruitful information. Till then, why don’t you have a look at our other articles and successful case studies, in case they might help you or give you the solution you need?