The Everlasting debate about plant-based milk and cow’s milk should end here. Yes, we are going to provide you with the complete information about plant-based milk and cow’s milk and which is the best one to have along with the pros and cons of each milk so that you can make the best decision.
Plant-based milk vs cow’s milk: Which is better? This is the most common question on the internet now by the newly turned vegans or those who want to add their hand to save the environment by making a switch to veganism.
Before we dig into which is better, we want to bust some myths that are spreading around more than our 5g internet. Okay, jokes apart, here are the common myths about milk be it plant-based or dairy.
Myth: You can get calcium only from cows’ milk.
Fact: Soy, chia seeds, legumes, green leafy vegetables, almonds and many more have the same amount of calcium as dairy.
Myth: Cow’s milk is the only source of protein.
Fact: Soy milk has the same amount of protein as cow’s milk.
Hope you got some of your queries cleared related to Plant-based milk vs cow’s milk: Which is better? But, we know there are still more, let’s look at them too.
Myth: All dairy milk can make you lactose intolerant and allergic.
Fact: A2 milk is the natural desi milk which causes no milk allergies or milk intolerances. You can read more about A1 and A2 milk and which is the best from here:- A1 Milk Vs A2 Milk – Which is the Best as per Ancient Ayurveda?
Myth: Plant-based milk can’t be your best coffee combo.
Fact: In fact, plant-based milk can be a better buddy than dairy milk. Check out:- Which Plant-Based Milk is Best for Coffee?
Myth: Vegan milk is not tasty.
Fact: Have you ever tried cashew milk or almond milk? Try one and comment. Vegan milk is not only tastier but also healthier and safer for our environment too.
Okay, these are some of the myths about dairy and plant-based milk. If you have some, do let us know in the comments. We will surely respond to you. Now, we can delve into Plant-based milk vs cow’s milk: Which is better?
Plant-based milk is made from nuts, grains, seeds and pulp of plant sources. Plant-based milk industry is booming and can even replace the dairy industry in the future. Bloomberg Intelligence report shows that by 2030 the plant-based industry can reach 62 billion USD. By this, you can assume how vastly the plant-based milk industry is thriving. There is plenty of plant-based milk available in the aisle of the supermarket.
- Soy milk
- Oat milk
- Coconut milk
- Hemp milk
- Rice milk
- Almond milk
- Cashew milk
- Pea milk
- Sesame milk
- Pistachio milk
- Quinoa milk
For your every need, there is a choice. Isn’t it amazing?
Pros of Plant-Based Milk:
Below are some of the awesome reasons why plant-based milk is the best alternative to cow’s milk and it can also make you think of switching to non-dairy milk. But pros can’t simply decide on Plant-based milk vs cow’s milk: Which is better? Agree? There is still more data to be dug into, but for now, let’s get to know the pros of plant-based milk.
- Eco friendly
- Animal cruelty-free
- No hormones
- Less water consumption
- Less land consumption
- Low in fat and Calories
- Less carbon footprint
- Cows’ milk allergy is common in around 7% of children under age 1.
- Rich in minerals and vitamins
- It has a combination of mono and polyunsaturated fats.
- Some plant-based milk has omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids which are good for the heart.
- Some of the plant-based milk is good in fibre making them gut-friendly.
- Fortified with essential vitamins and calcium.
- Diabetic friendly due to its low sugar quantity.
- Unsaturated fats help in lowering LDL cholesterol and increasing HDL cholesterol.
Cons of Plant-Based Milk:
- It’s pricey.
- Can’t be affordable for everyone
- Can’t be available in every market mainly in local and rural villages
- Still many aren’t aware of the benefits of it
- Some may not be comfortable with the flavour it adds to the dishes.
- Dilemma to choose the best as there are plenty in the market.
Can you decide now only between Plant-based milk vs cow’s milk: Which is better? I don’t think so because we are only done with the pros and cons of plant-based milk. Now you have an idea about what plant-based milk is and whether these are pretty good choices for you or not. If you aren’t still convinced about the numerous benefits of plant-based milk, please read this:- Are Plant-Based Milk (Vegan Milk) Good for You? A Wholesome Insights.
Cow’s milk is derived from the cow be it A1 cow or A2 cow. In case, if you don’t have an idea about A1 and A2 milk, we suggest you read this:- A1 Milk Vs A2 Milk – Which is the Best as per Ancient Ayurveda?. There is a never-ending debate about which milk is the best. And many children are coming up to IAFA to get treated for cows’ milk allergy and lactose intolerance.
Let’s have a glance at the pros and cons of cow’s milk to decide between Plant-based milk vs cow’s milk: Which is better?
Pros of Cow’s Milk:
- Ayurveda considers cow’s milk as a wholesome food and shresht which is pure.
- NCBI shows us the data that, on an average 100gm of cow’s milk contains around 120mg of calcium which satiate our 21% of the daily value.
- Protein in cows’ milk can be around 8gm per cup which can almost satisfy our daily protein needs.
- Rich source of fat and helps in weight gain.
- Tastier and creamier.
- Most commonly used in every household.
- Affordable to laymen
- Easily available everywhere
- Rich in vitamins and minerals, considered a good nutritious drink.
- Natural source of vitamin B12 and iodine.
- Plays a major role in our bones and teeth development.
- Helps in building strong immunity.
- Whey and casein proteins are considered to lower blood pressure.
- Vitamin B12 helps in building our memory and milk is often considered brain food.
- Times of India states that cow milk has a vital acid called conjugated linoleic acid which lowers the bad cholesterol.
- Immense benefits can be obtained without the worry of cow milk allergy or milk intolerance when you prefer A2 milk instead of genetically engineered A1 milk.
Cons of Cow’s Milk:
- Dairy production causes a major carbon footprint.
- Most of the greenhouse gases are emitted due to animal breeding.
- FAO of the United States shows that around 14.5 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions come from animal agriculture.
- Consume a lot of water.
- Land usage is more for animal breeding and feeding
- Around 7% of children suffer from cow milk allergies.
- Saturated fats are causing many lifestyle diseases.
- Acne and skin problems can occur.
- A clinical review shows that dairy can worsen skin conditions like eczema.
- Excess calcium from the milk and other food we consume can become a risk for prostate cancer.
- Sugars in milk can be a slight risk for ovarian cancer.
Okay, I guess now we are ready to decide between Plant-based milk vs cow’s milk: Which is better?
Isn’t it? Because we have a clear idea about plant-based milk and cow’s milk. In addition to this, we have also made the pros and cons of cow’s milk pretty clear to you now, right? And in case you want to know in detail about the types of cow milk, we have a whole blog dedicated to A1 milk and A2 milk, please check out the blogs sections and clear the remaining doubts if you have any.
Based on our thorough research and keeping in mind the pros and cons of both plant-based milk and cow’s milk, we have concluded to make you clear of any further doubts.
- If you have any milk allergies or milk intolerance, go for plant-based milk.
- If you are a vegan by choice or to save the environment from an excessive footprint, go for plant-based milk.
- Environment enthusiast? Go for vegan milk.
- Fighting for animal cruelty? Go for plant milk.
- If you don’t have any kind of allergies to cow milk, then cow’s milk is your best buddy.
- If you can’t get over the creaminess and taste of cow milk, then why need to disappoint your tastebuds? Go for cow milk.
- If you can’t afford plant milk or plant-based milk isn’t available in your region, then go for cow milk.
Okay, that’s it. We are winding up. That’s all about Plant-based milk vs cow’s milk: Which is better? I hope you got the answer to your query. If you still have any, feel free to contact us. We would love to answer all your queries.
IAFA’s and Dr. Sahil Gupta’s aim is not only to treat you by using ancient ayurvedic herbs but also want you to have a healthy life by installing ayurvedic food in your diet. We are on a mission of making you aware of the food you eat. If you are suffering from any kind of allergies, please book an online consultation now. We have 50000+ happy and healthy patients worldwide, we want you to be among one of them.