Allergies in Pregnancy
उपशेते यदौचित्यादोक सात्म्यं तदुच्यते||४९||
Allergies in Pregnancy
Allergies happen when our body’s immune system reacts to a foreign substance (also known as an allergen) such as pollen, dust, or a bee sting. During this reaction, our body creates antibodies, or special cells to fight off the foreign substance. A third of women with allergies experience relief from their symptoms when they are pregnant. Unfortunately, one-fifth to a quarter of pregnant women experience allergies anyway. And of those with allergies, one third will experience worse symptoms than usual, because of how pregnancy affects your body, you may feel as though your allergy symptoms are worse. Symptoms may also just feel worse because of how they combine with pregnancy symptoms.
According to the concept of “Satmya” in Ayurveda, diet or medicine which suits to one person may not be suits to another person & this is the reason diet may vary according to Desha (places of living). Therefore, if any food or medicine which is non-conducive is taken, it causes alternate effects on body. Most of the Allergies comes under this concept and so as in pregnancy also.
Dr. Gupta’s IAFA successfully address this condition and provides very safe and effective treatment for all kinds of Allergies occurring during pregnancy.
Causes of Allergies in Pregnancy
Causes of allergies in Pregnancy mostly include,
- Dust Mites: These little invisible bugs live in dirty and dusty spaces and can cause all sorts of allergic reactions.
- Foods: Nuts of all kinds, all sorts of fruits, shellfish of all kinds, eggs, and the proteins in cow’s milk can all cause reactions
- Mold Spores
- Exposure to tobacco smoke
- People with history of Asthma can also have an exacerbation during this condition.
Ayurvedic reference of Allergies in Pregnancy
Symptoms of Allergies in Pregnancy
When people with allergies breathe in such a substance – which for them is an allergen – their bodies see it as a foreign invader and mounts an immune response. When this happens, the body produces multiple inflammatory chemicals which can cause classic allergic reactions, such as:
- Inflammation and swelling of the sinuses
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Sinus congestion
- Sore, itchy throat
- Runny nose
In food allergies there will be symptoms like,
- Stomach cramps
- Shortness of breath, difficulty breathing
In insect bites,
- Likely to develop a raised welt around the sting site
- Large local reactions to wasp stings include extreme redness andswelling that increases for two or three days after thesting. Nausea and vomiting can also occur
“Institute of Applied Food Allergy® Dr. Gupta’s offers comprehensive and evidence-based diagnosis and presents therapeutic solutions in order effectively manage a spectrum of allergic and immunology related disorders during Pregnancy in Ayurveda”.
A healthy body holds a Healthy Soul & mind! Think about Dr. Gupta’s IAFA for all your worries about health.
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet Management in Allergies in Pregnancy
Do’s (Pathya) in Allergies in Pregnancy
- Changing your clothes and washing well after being exposed to the allergen.
- Using an air filter in your room, especially the bedroom.
- Leaving pets with a friend or relative.
- Washing your bedding more often.
- Eating a healthy diet, with lots of vegetables and reduced sugar and dairy.
- Practicing breathing exercises.
Don’ts (Apathya) in Allergies in Pregnancy
- Avoid triggers such as pet dander, dust, or pollen depending on your existing allergies. Adding a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter is a great way to clean the indoor air and reduce the number of allergens that you are exposed to
- Avoid exposure to tobacco smoke
- Avoid foods due to a fear of creating allergies
- Don’t consume alcohol
- Raise your head by approximately 30 degrees can help alleviate congestion and increase the airflow through the nostrils
Yoga Therapy for Allergies in Pregnancy
Yoga uses a holistic approach to stress reduction and has been used to promote positive health for centuries. A regular practice of yogasanas, pranayama and meditation provide the relaxation and sound sleep in the pregnancy and also is effective in all kinds of diseases during Pregnancy
Ayurvedic Treatment for Allergies in Pregnancy
Any dietary substance will become Asatmya to a person if there is a weak digestive fire or Agni. Digestive fire of body (Agni) becomes weak due to Ama visa (metabolic toxin) formation in the body and causes imbalance of dosha (Vata, Pitta, Kapha are life forces) in body. Treatment involves Shamanachikitsa (internal medicines), Shodanachikitsa (Panchakarma therapy), life style modifications and very strict diet regimen. Since Sodhanachikitsa done during pregnancy is less, samanachikitsa will be effective.
Internal Medicines forAllergies in Pregnancy
- Guluchyadi Kashaya
- Drakshadi Kashaya
Single herbs used in Allergies in Pregnancy
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Kutaja (HolarrhenaAntidysenterica)
- Bilwa (Aegle marmelos)
- Musta (Cyperusrotundus)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist