Allergic disorders are the common clinical manifestations faced by practitioners all over the world. In modern medicine, allergies are managed with antihistamines that are associated with some adverse effects but the problem is well- explained in Ayurveda. So, the experience of Ayurveda can be utilized to accelerate the understanding of allergies of various etiologies. This blog presents a case study of a 42 years female patient residing in Washington DC, USA suffering from various forms of allergies such as – allergic rhinitis, allergic conjunctivitis and dust allergy from the last 3-4 years. She approached IAFA via online consultation and started Ayurvedic treatment under the supervision of Dr. Gupta. The patient is completely satisfied with the Ayurvedic treatment and thankful to IAFA. According to Ayurveda, Mandagni (weak digestive fire) is the root cause of various types of allergies because weak Agni means that there are Amavisha (toxins) in the body. Therefore, allergies are more common in people who have Ama formation in the body. The treatment modalities by IAFA showed highly significant results in relieving signs and symptoms of allergies with no adverse reaction. This blog aims to present the successful Ayurvedic management of allergies by IAFA.
Keywords: Allergic Conjunctivitis, Shalakya Tantra, Allergic Rhinitis, Ayurvedic Treatment
An allergy is a hypersensitive reaction produced by the body when it comes in contact with a substance that is generally harmless such as dust, pollen, dander etc. In Ayurveda, it is stated that accumulation of Amavisha (toxins) is the root cause of allergies of various etiologies. It is a sticky residue that is a result of incomplete digestion just like when a wet wood is set to a fire, it will not blaze and result in smoke and charred waste. In the same way, when there is low digestion strength, half-baked gunk is formed known as Amavisha and it starts clogging internal pathways.
From an Ayurvedic perspective, every patient of allergy is different and an eminent Ayurvedic practitioner can address the patient as a whole. The Ayurvedic treatment of allergies by IAFA emphasizes four steps during the course of treatment. These are:
- Boosting the digestive fire
- Detoxifying the system
- Restoring the strength of immune system
- Adjusting the diet and lifestyle to support a clean burn
The same treatment principles were followed for Allergic rhinitis treatment, nasal allergies treatment and dust allergy treatment in the present case by IAFA.
Allergic Rhinitis in Ayurveda is classified as Vata-Kaphaj Pratishyaya, Allergic Conjunctivitis in Ayurveda is classified under Netra Abhishyanda and dust allergy in Ayurveda in the context of Pratishyaya.
- Patient’s Name: Ritu Todi
- Age/Gender: 42/F
- Address: Washington DC, USA
- UID: 6445
- Date of Consultation: 03/09/2021
As per the patient’s clinical history, she was having the following symptoms:
- Throat and palate itching radiating towards bilateral ears.
- Nasal allergies and its associated symptoms like continuous sneezing, running nose and nasal irritation.
- Continuous sneezing especially during night.
- Eye allergy and its associated symptoms like watery eyes, itching in eyes and foreign body sensation in eyes.
Father is asthmatic.
Pratimarsha Nasya Karma with:
- Nasa Yoga Grutham
- Nasal All Clear X Drops
- IAFA Respiratory Detox Tablets
- IAFA Respiro Detox Formula
- IAFA Res Chai – 7
- Cap Curcumin with Piperine (95% Extract)
Method of Use/Dosage
- Nasa Yoga Grutham: 4-6 drops to be instilled in bilateral nostrils twice a day at early morning and at bed time.
- Nasal Clear X Drops: 2-4 drops to be instilled in bilateral nostrils twice a day in morning 1 hour after Nasa Yoga Grutham and early evening before Nasa Yoga Grutham.
- IAFA Respiratory Detox Tablets: 750 mg twice a day 15 minutes before meals.
- IAFA Respiro Detox Formula: 2.5 gram or ½ teaspoon to be taken twice a day with honey or lukewarm water.
- IAFA Res Chai – 7: 1 tsp (2.5 g approx.) for 1 cup of tea twice a day.
- Cap Curcumin with Piperine: 2 capsules once in a day on an empty stomach in the morning with lukewarm water.
Diet and Lifestyle
The concept of Virudhahara or unwholesome diet in relation to allergy is very relevant in the present context. So, some diet and lifestyle changes were also recommended to the patient along with the treatment.
- Light and easily digestible food
- More fiber containing fruits and vegetables
- Frequent intake of lukewarm water
- Fresh curd in mid noon only with black pepper
- Intake of herbs like fennel, cumin and curry leaves regularly as these herbs help in stimulating agni and enhancing the digestive fire.
- Fresh fruits such as – pomegranate and apples on a daily basis.
- Spicy and deep -fried food
- Packaged food that contains food additives, dye and artificial sweeteners
- Vegetables such as – eggplant, ladyfinger and mushroom
- Fruits like – avocado and bananas
“I have been suffering from Nasal & Dust Allergy from last 3-4 years. The services that I received from IAFA is excellent. Dr. Sahil Gupta and team is friendly and ensure that I am properly informed about my health and care. They are very keen to take follow ups regularly despite the time gap between India and Washington. I highly recommend them to friends and family.”
Though allergies are not life – threatening in nature but these significantly affect patient’s quality of life and productivity. In the present case study, the patient was suffering from multiple allergies and got relief from Ayurvedic treatment by IAFA through internal and external procedures. External procedure such as Nasya is considered as a chief Shodhan procedure as it expels deep-seated doshas. Internal medication having Tikta and Katu Rasa, Laghu and Ruksha guna, Ushna Virya, Katu vipaka and Vatakapha hara properties. Therefore, this treatment procedure by IAFA ultimately managed the symptoms successfully. No adverse and toxic effects were observed during and after the treatment.
If you are suffering from an allergy of any kind and fed up by taking other treatments, we recommend you to try the ancient medical system i.e. Ayurveda.
IAFA founded by Dr. Sahil Gupta is a premier institute known for the treatment of all kinds of allergies through Ayurvedic approach. IAFA has a team of dedicated professionals who take continuous follow up during the course of treatment. If you have any query, you can chat with our specialized team or book an online consultation for the individualized treatment.