Anaemia in Children (Pandu)
पित्तप्रधाना: कुपितायथोक्तै: कोपनैर्मला: l
Anaemia in Children-Pandu
Anaemia is the condition wherethere is deficiency ofadequate healthy red blood cells to carry sufficient oxygen to body tissues. Based on cause, anaemia can be of different types. It is primarily manifested as tiredness and weakness. In Ayurveda, anaemia is explained as Pandu. There is description about causes, symptoms, types and treatment of Pandu. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is well experienced in the management of anaemia. IAFA through its Ayurpediatric department implements effective Ayurvedic treatment for children suffering from anaemia and associated symptoms.
Causes of Anaemia
Anaemia occurs when the blood doesn’t have adequate red blood cells to carry oxygen to tissues.This may occur when:
- Body fails to make sufficient red blood cells
- Loss of red blood cells due to bleeding
- Body itself destroys the red blood cells produced.
Also, there are different types of Anaemia have based on various causes. They are:
- Iron deficiency Anaemia: Itis the most common type of Anaemia. This is caused by the deficiency of iron in the body. Without sufficient iron, body cannot produce ample haemoglobin for red blood cells. It can occur in many pregnant women, in ladies due to blood loss from heavy menstrual bleeding, due to an ulcer, cancer or regular use of some medicines.
- Vitamin deficiency Anaemia. Besides iron, body also needs folate and vitamin B-12 to produce sufficient healthy red blood cells. If the diet lack these nutrients, it can lead toreduced red blood cell production.
- Aplastic Anaemia. This is a rare type of anaemia but can be life-threatening.Aplastic anaemia occurs when the body fails to produce enough red blood cells. It can be due to infections, autoimmune diseases, certain medicines, or exposure to toxic chemicals.
- Sickle cell Anaemia. This is an inherited type of anaemia. Sometimes it can become a serious condition leading to haemolytic anaemia. It is the condition where the red blood cells take an abnormal crescent (sickle) shape and impairs its haemoglobin transporting capacity. These blood cells die early, causing a chronic reductionin red blood cells.
There are also other types of Anaemia like Anaemia associated with bone marrow disease, Haemolytic Anaemia, Thalassemia etc.
Ayurvedic reference of Anaemia In Children-Pandu
Symptoms of Anaemia
Signs and symptoms of Anaemiacan vary depending on the causative factor. Sometimes, there might have no symptoms. Major signs and symptoms, commonly manifested include:
- Pale or yellowish skin
- Irregular heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Dizziness or light-headedness
- Chest pain
- Cold hands and feet
At first, Anaemia can be so mild that the symptoms may not get noticed. But they get worsened as Anaemia worsens.
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is well experienced in the management of anaemia. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® through its Ayurpediatric department implements effective Ayurvedic treatment for children suffering from anaemia and associated symptoms”.
Visit IAFA and be a part of wellness.
-Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFAⓇ
Diet in Anaemia in Children
Do’s (Pathya) in Anaemia in Children
- Citrus fruits
- Red and yellow bell pepper
- Eating goose berry with honey
- Intake of fiber containing vegetables
- Always take warm food
- Light and easily digestible food
- Green gram soup with pomegranate
Don’ts (Apathya) in Anaemia in Children
- Foodsrich in tannins
- Foodthat contains Ajinomoto
- Teaand coffee
- Foodscontaining gluten such as pasta
- Peanutsand chocolate
- Fried food items
- Drinking cold water
- Fried and bakery food
- Bottled soft drinks and artificial juices
- Mental stress of children
Yoga and Pranayama in Anaemia in Children
Yoga postures will be helpful in dipping the mental stress and also to empower the digestive system
Pranayama reduces stress and anxiety along with stimulation of whole body circulation that plays a major role in increasing Haemoglobin.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Anaemia in Children
Ayurveda has detailed protocol for the management of Anaemia in Children. It includes internal medicines and use of single herbs.
Internal Medicines for Anaemia in Children
- Vasaguluchyadi Kashaya
- Punarnavadi Kashaya
- Drakshadi Kashaya
- Guluchyadi Kashaya
Single Herbs in the Management of Anaemia in Children
- Vasa (Adhatodavasica)
- Punarnava (Boerrhaviadiffusa)
- Guduchi (Tinosporacordifolia)
- Draksha (Vitisvinifera)
- Parpataka (Fumariaparviflora)
- Bhunimba (Andrographispaniculata)
- Shunti (Zingiberofficinale)
- Haritaki (Terminaliachebula)
- Amalaki (Emblicaofficinalis)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)