Sallaki (Boswellia serrata)
Sallaki is a moderate sized deciduous tree. It is commonly known as Indian oli-banum.It is also known as Indian frankincense tree. It grows to a size of 20- 30 feet.The resin obtained from its stem has many medicinal values according to Ayurveda. The trees start producing resin at about 8- 10 years old. The best quality of resin is decided on the basis of opacity. Dr.Gupta’s IAFA has been consistently working on sallaki plant for discovering more medicinal properties of the plant. Our experts found out that the plant can act as an antiallergic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobialand analgesic.
Action of Boswellia serrata
IAFA has been conducting various studies on Sallaki to found out the analgesic and antiinflammatory properties of the plant. The phytoconstituents of the plant Sallaki is terpanoids, phenylpropanoids and phenolic components and flavanoids. Boswellic acid is the main terpanoid found in Sallaki. Due to the antiinflammatory and analgesic property of the plant, it can be used for the treatment of chronic arthritis conditions.
Vernacular Names and Botanical Classification
|Botanical Name||Boswellia serrata|
|Sanskrit Name||Sallaki, Shallaki|
|Hindi Name||Salai, Luban|
|English Name||Indian oli- banum|
|Kannada Name||Madi, Idabola|
Ayurveda reference of Sallaki – Boswellia serrata
Morphology of Sallaki-Boswellia serrata
- Moderate sized deciduous tree.
- Outer bark greenish per ash coloured
- Leaves crowded near the ends of the branches
- Leaflets crenate serrate
- Recemes shorter than leaves
- Drupe trigonous
Geographical distribution of Sallaki – Boswellia serrata
Distributed in from the base of Himalaya, all over India.
Phytoconstituents of Sallaki – Boswellia serrata
The phytoconstituents of the plant Sallaki is terpanoids,phenylpropanoids and phenolic components and flavanoids.
Parts used of Sallaki – Boswellia serrata
- Stem resin
Dosage of Sallaki – Boswellia serrata
- Decoction (kwatha) – 50- 100 ml
- Resin- 1-3gm
Medicinal Properties of Sallaki – Boswellia serrata
- Atisarahara-relieves diarrhoea
- Rakthapittaghna–alleviates Rakta and Pitta dosha
- Vrunaropana–heals ulcers
- Kushtaghna-alleviate skin disorders
- Arsoghna–alleviates piles
- Stambhana- absorbent
Home remedies of Sallaki – Boswellia serrata
Ayurveda is an Indian System of treatment which is purely based on naturally available herbs for treatment purposes. Sallaki is a readily available non toxic herb and can be used to treat diseases like,
- In Diarrhoea (Atisara) –Sallaki extract along with Mustha decoction can be used to treat diarrhoea.
- In Rheumatoid arthritis –Sallaki can be usedboth internally and externally in this condition. Sallaki extract along with Rasnadidecotion is used internally for 7 days can relieves pain and inflammation on joints.Sallakipaste made with luke warm water for external application on joints, alleviates pain.
- In skin diseases (Kushta) –sallakipaste can be used externally for skin problems.
- In Piles (Arsas)– Sallakiextract along with Abhayadecotion for 3 days alleviates pain due to Piles disease
- In Diabetes –Sallakipowder helps to reduce blood sugar level when used with Haridrachoornam.
- In Asthma – As sallaki has antiinflammatoryproperty,it is useful in Asthmatic patients.Small amount of Sallaki powder in Jirakadecotionfor 7 days can relieves Asthma.
- For healthy female reproductive system-Tinge of Sallaki powderin Sigrudecoctionis useful for normal uterine bleeding.
- In wound healing-Sallaki powder along with egg white externally can be used as remedy for wound healing.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist