Vidanga – Embeliaribes
Vidanga, commonly known as Embelia fruit is one of most commonly used herb for the alleviation of Inflammatory conditions and Worm infestation. The name Vidanga itself means that the plant can kill worms. Vidanga is also known as ‘Krimighna’ owing to its antimicrobial action.
Dr.Gupta’s IAFAhave been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Vidanga and proven the plant’s therapeutic activities like Anthelmintic, Antifungal, Antioxidant, Anticonvulsant, Anti-inflammatory actions etc. Vidanga can be used in various diseases like Diabetes, Worm infestation, Skin disorders, Digestive disorders etc. The seed extract of Vidanga have antifungal property and can be used to kill fungal species. The seed contains embelin which have protective effect against hyperlipidemia and oxidative stress. Our experts also found out that the embelin have Anticonvulsant activities. Nowadays Vidanga is also used for treating allergic conditions.
Action of Vidanga – Embeliaribesin Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Vidanga. The plant contains phytoconstituents like embelin, quercitol, tannin, christembine, iodoembolin, bromoembelin, embelic acid, vilangin etc. These phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic and anti-inflammatory property of Vidanga. Vidanga can be effectively applied on the skin to alleviate skin allergic conditions.
Vernacular Names and Botanical Classification
|English Name||Embelia fruit|
|Kannada Name||Vayu vidanga|
Ayurveda reference of Vidanga – Embeliaribes
Morphology of Vidanga – Embeliaribes
- Large scandent shrub
- Branches are long and
- Leaves are elliptical
- Inflorescence is laxed terminal
- Flowers are greenish yellow
- Fruits are globose
Geographical distribution of Vidanga – Embeliaribes
Vidanga found throughout India especially in forest and hilly areas .
Phytoconstituents of Vidanga – Embeliaribes
The plant contains phytoconstituents like embelin, quercitol, tannin, christembine, iodoembolin, bromoembelin, embelic acid, vilangin etc.
Parts used of Vidanga – Embeliaribes
Dosage of Vidanga – Embeliaribes
- Powder(churna)- 1-5 g
Medicinal Properties of Vidanga – Embeliaribes
- Kasahara – relieves cough
- Sulahara-relieves pain
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Swasahara – relieves asthma
- Rasayana – rejuvenative
- Krimighna – useful in worm infestations
- Kandughan- relieves itching
- Vishaghna – useful in poisoning
- Vranahara – useful in wounds
Home remedies of Vidanga – Embeliaribes
Ayurveda is not only a treatment system but also a lifestyle. The treatment system adopted by Ayurveda is purely based on naturally available herbs. Vidanga is one of the most widely used herb. Due to its high medicinal value it is used in treating many diseases like,
- As Rejuvenative (Rasayana) – Vidanga is powderedand taken with milk or ghee at a dose of 10g.
- In Worm infestations (Krimi) – Freshly collected Vidanga fruits are used for foods, drinks, for bath, for fumigation and for application.
- In skin diseases (Kushta)– Powder of Vidanga is mixed with Terminalia chebulaand Piper longum. It is then taken along with honey
- In Diabetes (Prameha) – Powder of Vidanga taken along with Gooseberry and honey at a dose of 5g.
- In Fistula in ano (Bhagandara) – The fruits of Vidanga are powdered well and taken along with Pepper and honey.
- As a carminative (Deepana) – Vidanga powdered and taken before food. It can act as a carminative.
- In abdominal pain (Udarasula) – Powdered Vidanga along with Piper nigrumis administered .
- In indigestion (Ajirna) -Vidanga powdered and taken after food.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist