Svarnakshiri (Euphorbia thomsoniana)
Svarnakshiri – Euphorbia thomsoniana
Svarnakshiri is a perennial herb commonly seen in Kashmir,at a height of 10000 ft. The plant is commonly known as Hirbi. The plant’s latex have golden yellow colour and hence the name Svarnakshiri. The chemical constituents of the plant have not been screened.
Institute of Applied food Allergyguided by Dr.Gupta, have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Svarnakshiri and proven many therapeutic activities ofthe plant like, anti-inflammatory, Muscle relaxant, Sedative, Antinociceptive, Spasmodic, Lithotriptic, Antipyretic etc. The plant can be used to treat diseases like Anemia,Cough, Diabetes, Inflammation, Fever, Allergic conditions etc. Our experts have also found out that the stem bark of Svarnakshiri have antidiabetic activities. The petroleum ether extract and ethanolic extract of the plant showed significant antidiabetic activities.
Action of Svarnakshiri – Euphorbia thomsonianain Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic andanti-inflammatory property of the plant Svarnakshiri. The plant contains phytoconstituents like Methanol, ethanol, kaempferol etc. These aids in the antiallergic property of the plant. The decoction prepared from the leaves of Svarnakshiri can alleviate skin allergic conditions and worm infestations .
Vernacular names and Classification
|Botanical Name||Euphorbia thomsoniana, Argemone Mexicana Linn|
|Sanskrit Name||Svarnakshiri ,Haimavati, Hemadugdha, Tikta Dugdha|
|Hindi Name||Satyanashi, Kataila|
|English Name||Mexican poppy, Mexican prickly poppy|
Ayurveda reference of Svarnakshiri – Euphorbia thomsoniana
Morphology of Svarnakshiri – Euphorbia thomsoniana
- Perennial herb
- Stem is simple and unbranched
- Leaves are sessile and elliptic ovate
Geographical distribution of Svarnakshiri – Euphorbia thomsoniana
Svarnakshiriis found in high altitude in India especially in Kashmir .
Phytoconstituents of Svarnakshiri – Euphorbia thomsoniana
Methanolic extract, ethanolic extract, kaempferol
Parts used of Svarnakshiri – Euphorbia thomsoniana
Dosage of Svarnakshiri – Euphorbia thomsoniana
- Juice (swarasa)- 10-20 ml
- Decoction (kwatha)- 50-100 ml
Medicinal Properties of Svarnakshiri – Euphorbia thomsoniana
- Hrdrogahara-cardio protective
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Swasahara – relieves asthma
- Krimighna-alleviates worm infestations
- Visaghna – useful in poisoning
- Kandughna- relieves itching
- Kushtaghna – relieves skin diseases
Home remedies of Svarnakshiri – Euphorbia thomsoniana
Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine, extensively popular in India. More than medical care, Ayurveda advices lifestyle modifications which helps in relieving diseases and promoting immunity. Ayurveda uses herbs that are commonly seen around. Svarnakshiri is a major herb used in Ayurveda and is used in many diseases like,
- In Urinary calculus (Asmari) – Decoction is prepared from the root of Svarnakshiri and to it add paste of root bark. It is then taken internally.
- In Diabetes (Prameha) – Decoction of Svarnakshiriis taken at a dose of 60ml per day to cure diabetes.
- In Goitre(Gandamala)- Decoction prepared from root bark of Svarnakshiri is taken internally.
- In digestive disorders (Agnimandhya) –Root bark crushed and Decoction made. Oral intake of this will cure digestive disorders.
- In Cough (Kasa) – Powder of Barkof Svarnakshiriis mixed with Ginger and taken repeatedly to cure cough.
- In worm infestations (krimi roga) – Decoction prepared from root bark of Svarnakshiri is taken at a dose of 60ml per day.
- In Fever (Jwara) – Decoction of Svarnakshiri and Mandukaparni is taken to cure fever at a dose of 60ml.
- In Heart diseases (Hrdroga) – Dailyusage of Svarnakshiri can act as cardioprotective.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist