Surana – Amorphophalluscompanulatus
Surana is one of the most commonly herb used vegetable all around the world. The plant have many therapeutic actions and can be used for treatment purposes. It is well-known by the name elephant foot yam. It is one of the best remedies for curing Piles and Splenomegaly. The itself means that the plant can be used to treat Piles and Splenomegaly.
Institute of Applied food Allergyguided by Dr.Gupta,have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Surana and proven the plant’s therapeutic activities like Analgesic, Carminative , lipolitic, Stomachic , Stimulant, Antibacterial, Anti-inflammatory actions etc. Surana can be used in various diseases like Piles,Splenomegaly, Tumors, oedema , Skin disorders, Digestive disorders etc. The leaves if the plant contains methanolic extracts. Our experts have successfully proven the antinociceptive action these methanolic extracts. The methanolic extract in the plant also helps to cure tumors.
Action of Surana – Amorphophalluscompanulatusin Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Surana.The plant contains phytoconstituents like Betulinic acid, B sitosterol, Lupeol, Stigmasterol, Glucose etc. These phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory property of Surana. It can be effectively used to alleviate skin allergic conditions.
Vernacular names and Classification
|Sanskrit Name||Surana, Sthulakandha, Vruththa|
|English Name||Elephant foot yam|
Ayurveda reference of Surana – Amorphophalluscompanulatus
Morphology of Surana – Amorphophalluscompanulatus
- Tuberous herb
- Tubers are large and globose
- Leaves are large, stout and dark green
- Fruits are berries
Geographical distribution of Surana – Amorphophalluscompanulatus
Surana grows very commonly in South India, especially Karnataka, Kerala and Andhrapradesh.
Phytoconstituents of Surana – Amorphophalluscompanulatus
The plant contains phytoconstituents like Betulinic acid, B sitosterol, Lupeol, Stigmasterol, Glucose etc.
Parts used of Surana – Amorphophalluscompanulatus
Dosage of Surana – Amorphophalluscompanulatus
- Powder(churna)- 3-6 g
Medicinal Properties of Surana – Amorphophalluscompanulatus
- Kandukara-Causes itching
- Sulahara-relieves pain
- Dipana – carminative
- Swasahara – relieves asthma
- Ruchya – Havepleasant taste
- Jwaraghna – useful in fever
- Pacana – digestant
- Vishaghna – useful in poisoning
Home remedies of Surana – Amorphophalluscompanulatus.
Ayurveda is not only a treatment system but also a lifestyle. The treatment system adopted by Ayurveda is purely based on naturally available herbs. Surana is one of the most widely used herb. Due to its high medicinal value it is used in treating many diseases like,
- In Piles (Arsas) –Powders of Piper longum,Pepper, Ginger, and Surana are mixed with Jaggery and administered.
- In Sula (Pain) – Rhizome of Surana is collected, crushed and made into a decoction which is effective in pacifying pain.
- In Goitre(Galganda)- Paste prepared from roots of Suranashould administered in early morning
- In Oedema(Sotha)- Paste prepared from root of Surana is applied for alleviating oedema.
- As a carminative (Deepana) – Suranais powdered and taken before food. It can act as a carminative.
- In Fever (Jwara) – Decoction made of Surana is taken to cure fever.
- As Digestant (Pacana) – Decoction of Surana is taken at a dose of 60ml per day after food.
- In Tumors(Granthi)-Surana rhizomes are mixed with Ginger and added with water. It is then applied on Tumor.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist