Jatamamsi, commonly known as Indian spike nard is one of the most potent herb used as an Analgesic and Antiseptic . The name Jatamamsiis given to the plant because of its matted hairs.The word Nart means Valerius and the word Stachys means spiked. The plant is extensively grows in Himalayan regions. The rhizomes if the plant have many therapeutic applications.
Institute of Applied Food Allergy, guided by Dr. Gupta , have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Jatamamsi and proven the plant’s therapeutic activities like Analgesic, Hypnotic, Antiallergic, Sedative, Narcotic, Respiratory depressant, Vermifuge, Astringent etc. Jatamamsi can be used in various diseases like Skin allergic conditions, Skin diseases, Poisoning, Cough etc. The hydroethanolic extract of Jatamamsi have antistress effects and antioxidant properties. Our experts also proven that the plant can be used a memory enhancer. The ethanolic extracts of roots of Jatamamsi have Anticonvulsant activities and is extensively used in the preparation of medicines preventing convulsions.
Action of Jatamamsi – Nardostachysjatamamsiin Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Jatamamsi. The plant contains phytoconstituents like Jatamansic acid,aristolene, calarene, jatamansin, oroselol, orselone,dihydrojatamansin, angelic acid, jatamansinol, seselin,jatamansinone, a-pinene, B-pinene, B-eudesmol, elmol, B-sitosterol, jatamansinol, jatamansin and angelicin. These aids in the antiallergic property of the plant. The rhizomes of the plant is widely used in the treatment of skin allergic conditions and other skin disorders.
Vernacular names and Classification
|Sanskrit Name||Jatamamsi,Palankusa, Sulomasha, jatila|
|English Name||Indian spike nard|
Ayurveda reference of Jatamamsi – Nardostachysjatamamsi
Morphology of Jatamamsi – Nardostachysjatamamsi
- An erect perennial herb
- Stem have radical leaves
- Cauline leaves are present in pairs
- Inflorescence is dense cyme
- Flowers are pale pink
- Fruits are indehiscent
Geographical distribution of Jatamamsi – Nardostachysjatamamsi
Grows in great elevated areas like Alpine Himalayas.
Phytoconstituents of Jatamamsi – Nardostachysjatamamsi
Rhizome has essential oil which contains Jatamansic acid,aristolene, calarene, jatamansin, oroselol, orselone,dihydrojatamansin, angelic acid, jatamansinol, seselin,jatamansinone, a-pinene, B-pinene, B-eudesmol, elmol, B-sitosterol, jatamansinol, jatamansin and angelicin.
Parts used of Jatamamsi – Nardostachysjatamamsi
Dosage of Jatamamsi – Nardostachysjatamamsi
- Powder(churna)- 3-6 g
- Decoction (kwatha)-60 ml
Medicinal Properties of Jatamamsi – Nardostachysjatamamsi
- Kasahara – relieves cough
- Dahahara-relieves burning sensation
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Medhya-Promotes intelligence and memory
- Agnivardhaka- improves digestion
- Vrsya – aphrodisiac
- Balya – promote strength
Home remedies of Jatamamsi – Nardostachysjatamamsi
Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine which focused on lifestyle modifications along with medicines in treating diseases. The treatment system adopted by Ayurveda is purely based on naturally available herbs. Jatamamsi is mainly available in hilly areas. The plant can be used to treat diseases like,
- In Skin diseases (Kushta) – Paste prepared from Jatamamsi, Pepper, Curcuma, soot, urine and bile is efficacious in skin diseases. The paste is applied on the skin.
- In Insomnia (Anidra) – Jatamamsirhizomes taken and decoction is prepared. It is taken internally at a dose of 60ml before sleep.
- In Pain (Sula) – Decoctionprepared from the rhizomes of the plant can alleviate pain.
- In Cough (Kasa) – Smoking the wick prepared from Jatamamsi, realgar, and Cyperusrotundus will cure Cough
- In Debilitating diseases (Dourbalya) –Rhizomes of Jatamamsi is taken with milk on daily basis.
- For hair growth (Kesavardhana) – The paste prepared from Jatamamsi, Saussaialappa, Hemidesmusindicus, Milk and honey is applied over the scalp and it can trigger hair growth.
- In Fever(Jwara)- Decoction of rhizomes of the plant Jatamamsi is taken daily at a dose of 60ml.
- In Burning sensation (Daha) – oral intake of Decoction of rhizomes will alleviate burning sensation.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist