Gambhari – Gmelinaarborea
Gambhari is a deciduous , fast growing tree. The name itself came from the fast growingability of the plant. It is commonly known as Candhar tree. In Sanskrit it is also named as Kasmari as it is a beautiful tree.The plant was discovered by Gmelina hence the Genus name given.The wood of the plant is used for making furnitures.InAyurveda many medicinal preparations are made by thisplant because of its valuableproperties.
Dr.Gupta’s IAFA has been constantly working on Gambhariplant to find outits medicinal properties . Experts in IAFATM
found out that the plant can act as ananti-inflammatory ,anti-helminthic,,anti-bacterial,anti-fungal,anti-diarrhoeal,antipyreticand antiallergic agent. Our Experts have conducted many studies on this plant and found thatGmelinaarboreacontains an isaxazolealkaloid calledpreminazole,so the plant can acts asanti inflammatory agent. Methanolic extracts of stem bark can be used for abdominal and urinary disorders. It possesseshepatoprotectiveand cardio protective actions. The alcoholic and acqueousextracts of leaf shows anti helminthic action. Various phyto constituentslike alkaloids,saponins, carbohydrates,phenolics,anthraquinone and tannins are present in the leaf and stem bark extract of Gmelinaarborea.
Action of Gambhari – Gmelinaarboreain Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Katuki. The plant contains phytoconstituents like picroside 1, picroside 2, kutkoside, picorhizin, kurrin, vanillic acid, kutkiol, kutkisterol, D-mannitol etc. These phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic and anthelmintic property of Katuki. Paste or powder of Katuki can be effectively applied on the skin to alleviate skin allergic conditions.
Vernacular names and Classification
|Sanskrit Name||Gambhari, Kasmari|
|English Name||Candhar tree|
Ayurveda reference of Gambhari – Gmelinaarborea
Morphology of Gambhari- Gmelinaarborea
- Moderate sized deciduous tree.
- Grows upto a size of 15-30 m
- Root – Tap root, cylindrical,bark often exfoliates into flakes.
- Stem –Erect,branched
- Stem Bark is greyish outside and yellow within.
- Leaves – Broadly ovate acuminate, margin is entire. Upper surface glabrous when mature
- Petioles – Long, cylindrical,glandular at the top.
- Inflorescence- Panicle about 30 cm long
- Flowers – Small,5 lobed 2 lipped. Petals are brownish yellow in colour.
- Fruit-Drupe,orange yellowwhen ripe
- Seed- Elliptic,2-4 in number.
Geographical distribution of Gambhari – Gmelinaarborea
It isdistributed all over the world mainly inIndia,Malaysia, Pakistan,Brazil etc. In India it is commonly found in Kashmir. It is also distributed in hilly regions of South India. It grows in moist fertile soil.
Phytoconstituents of Gambhari – Gmelinaarborea
The phytoconstituentsin the plant GambhariincludeGmelinol, cerylalcohol, yellow viscid oil, resin,B-sitosterol,which are present in roots.Luteolin, Apigenin, Quercetin etc.terpanoids,phenylpropanoids and phenolic components and flavanoidsare present in leaves.
Parts used of Gambhari –Gmelinaarborea
- Root bark and
Dosage of Gambhari – Gmelinaarborea
- Root powder (Mulachurna) – 3-6 gms
- Root decoction (Mulakwatha) – 50- 100 ml
- Root extract (Mulaswarasa)-10-20 ml
- Fruit pulp(Phalamajja)- 1-3 gms
Medicinal Properties of Gambhari – Gmelinaarborea
- Dipana- Appetizer
- Pacana- Helps in digestion
- Medhya- Brain tonic
- Bhedana- laxative
- Trshnahara- reduces thirst
- Dahaprasamana- alleviates burning sensation.
- Snehana- gives unctuousness to body
- Rakthapittaghna- helps in bleeding disorders.
- Vrsya- Aphrodisiac
Home remedies of Gambhari – Gmelinaarborea
The Indian System of Medicine, Ayurveda is purely based on naturally available herbs for treatment purposes. Gambhari is a naturally available non toxic herb and can be used to treat diseases like,
- In weakness (Dourbalya) –3-5 tender leaves of the plant made into paste by mixing with water. Add this paste into 1 glass of boiled milk and take it orally in empty stomach for 5 days.
- In Headache (Sirasula) – Leaves made into paste using milk and apply over forehead. After 20 minutes wipe out the paste.
- In Fever (Jvara) – Take 50 gm of fruit added with 500 ml water and boiled then reduced to 100 ml. 50 ml decoction taken internally twice daily before food for 3 days.
- In bleeding disorders (Rakthapitta) – 10 gm of fruit pulp along with honeyshould be taken internally for 7 days.
- In Foetus emaciation (garbhasosha) –To25 gm each of fruit pulp of Gambhariand Yashtimadhu add 100 ml of milk and 400 ml water and boiled then reduced to 100 ml.50 ml milk decoction is taken internally twice daily for 2 weeks
- In Inflammation (Sopha) – To30gms of crushed roots of Gambhariadded with 120 ml of water ,boiled and reduced to 30 ml . This root decoction should be taken internally twice daily before food for 7 days.
- In Diarrhoea(Atisara)- 20 gm each of Fruit of Gambhari,Amalaki and 40 gm of sugar added with 1 litre of water and boiled for 40 – 50 minutes. Allow the preparation to settle down then take the upper layer of the preparation and take it internally for 2 days.
- In Hair fall – Water boiled with 5-6 fruits of Gambhari is used to wash the hair to prevent hair fall and it helps to increase the hair growth.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist