Irritable Bowel Syndrome is an intestinal disorder that causes conditions like stomach ache, diarrhea, constipation, cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, and gas. It is chronic in nature and calls for long-term care and management.
In most cases, lifestyle management, dietary changes, and stress management can help in treating this condition. For more severe symptoms it is advisable to take medical guidance and counseling.
In this article, we shall discuss the healing of irritable bowel syndrome through Ayurveda, but before proceeding let’s take a quick look at the symptoms, and causes of the same.
Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
The definite cause of IBS is still to be determined, but factors that contribute to the contraction of this condition include:
- Weak intestinal contractions can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea and can ultimately lead to dry stools.
- IBS can also develop as a reaction to severe infections.
- An overgrowth of bacteria in the intestines is another probable cause.
- Stress and anxiety can often lead to symptoms of IBS.
- Certain changes in the microbes present in the gut which include bacteria, fungi, and viruses can also lead to the same.
- Abnormalities in the nerves of the digestive system.
Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Abdominal pain.
- Cramping during bowel movement.
- An increase or decrease in the frequency of bowel movement.
- Mucus in the stool.
One Must Decide to See a Doctor in Case They Experience the Following Complications:
- Rectal bleeding.
- Weight loss.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Diarrhea at night.
- Persistent stomach pain.
Heal Irritable Bowel Syndrome through Ayurveda
Ayurveda focuses on healing and eliminating the root cause of any ailment rather than its symptoms. To heal irritable bowel syndrome successfully, Ayurveda suggests natural herbs (for internal and external use) along with effective Panchakarma therapies.
Effects of Ayurveda on Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Helps in improving digestion fire.
- Reduces gas and bloating.
- Promotes digestion.
- Increases the absorption capacity of the intestines.
1) Panchakarma Therapies to Heal Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Panchkarma therapy for healing Irritable Bowel Syndrome includes Medicated Enema (Basti Karma), which helps in re-establishing colon health and eliminates toxins from the body. This cleansing procedure nourishes and cleanses the intestine and colon directly, without involving the stomach and gastrointestinal tract. This is a therapeutic measure that provides a healing and cleansing massage to the colon directly. These steps include:
- Shirodhara (Warm oil treatment on forehead)
- Chakra Nabhi Basti (Warm oil treatment on the area around the naval and other marma points)
- Abhyanga (Therapeutic Ayurvedic massage)
2) Herbs for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)
- Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa)
- Chavya (Piper retrofractum)
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
- Shalmali (Bombax ceiba)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Kutaja (Wrightia antidysenterica)
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Pushkarmool (Inula racemosa)
- Dhataki (Woodfordia Fruticosa)
- Pomegranate (Punica granatum)
- Artichoke (Cynara cardunculus var. scolymus)
- Aloe vera (Aloe vera)
- Amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica)
- Triphala (Haritaki – Terminalia chebula, Bibhitaki – Terminalia bellirica and Amalaki – Phyllanthus emblica)
3) Herbal Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Brahmi Vati
- Chitrakadi Vati
- Vilwadi Gulika
The above-explained Panchakarma therapies, Herbs, and Herbal Remedies can help in soothing the symptoms caused due to IBS without any side effects. We hope this article has achieved its motive of educating and creating awareness regarding IBS. Ayurvedic practices and approaches are generally personalized and subjective. For this purpose, you may get in touch with us at IAFA®, where we provide personalized Ayurvedic assistance to heal various ailments like Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Book your appointment now!