Alopecia Areata is an autoimmune disorder that results in excessive and unpredictable hair loss. The condition is a result of weak follicles, which originates the hair growth.
People suffering from this condition often have round or oval bald patches over their scalp. In most cases, hair fall isn’t extreme, but in a few, it may happen in patches. In extreme cases, complete hair loss from the scalp might happen, and in the rarest hair loss from the entire body is also a possibility. This condition is called Alopecia Universalis.
The condition might affect anybody, irrespective of their age or gender but usually begins before their thirties.
In this article, we shall discuss a few facts, causes, symptoms, and some Natural, and Ayurvedic treatments for healing Alopecia Areata (Baldness).
Facts About Alopecia Areata
- Alopecia Areata is a condition that might also affect absolutely fit and healthy people. There’s no deficiency in particular that causes it.
- The hair loss is absolutely unpredictable, it may happen for a while in a few patches, then hair may begin to regrow without any specific treatment.
- It usually begins in childhood or teenage, and in most cases, hair begins to regrow within 12 months.
- Alopecia Areata may also affect the nails sometimes. It makes the nails brittle, creates ridges, and dents over them, and sometimes may even turn them red.
- The cycle of unpredictable hair loss in patches and regrowth might continue for a long period of time and sometimes even for years.
Causes of Alopecia Areata
Causes of Alopecia Areata include:
- The science behind the occurrence of this disorder is the slowed-down production of hair by hair follicles when attacked by white blood cells, which causes them to shrink.
- A family history of Alopecia Areata increases the risk of developing this condition. While it is not necessary that every child with a history of this condition would necessarily develop it, but it sure increases the chances of its development to a great extent.
- Though scientific evidence does not completely support the origin of this condition due to stress, some scientists do believe that extreme stress might trigger excessive hair loss due to Alopecia Areata.
- Genetic history of other autoimmune disorders such as vitiligo, atopy, etc. might also increase the chances for one to develop this disorder.
Symptoms of Alopecia Areata
Hair loss is the most evident symptom of Alopecia Areata. Hair falls out in small patches which are a few centimeters wide.
- Hair loss from other parts of the body like brows, eyelashes, beards might also be a few other symptoms of this disorder.
- Hair loss is often observed either on the pillow or on one’s back. In some cases, hair loss is so extreme that it begins to show in the look of a person.
- Hair loss from the arm, legs, and overall scalp might also be a result of this condition.
- In some cases, hair regrowth might be simultaneous with hair loss but it varies from one person to the other.
- Red, brittle, and dented nails might also be a few symptoms of Alopecia Areata.
Treatment of Alopecia Areata
Alopecia Areata may be treated or hair regrowth may be induced by following a few healthy habits and natural remedies. These simple tips and remedies can help you heal Alopecia Areata naturally. Let us take a look at them:
- Rubbing onion or garlic juice on the scalp or the bald area effectively helps in re-growing the hair.
- Washing hair with cooled green tea is also a great home remedy to induce hair regrowth.
- Almond oil, rosemary oil, jojoba, castor oil, and curry Patta oil are also very beneficial in regulating hair growth.
- Coconut milk may be applied twice a week for about 4-6 months, to observe significant results.
- Vitamins like biotin and zinc also contribute to achieving results.
- Aloe vera drinks and juice are also very effective remedies to regrow hair and control hair loss.
- An anti-inflammatory diet or autoimmune protocol is a diet that only supports meat and vegetable also yields great benefits and reduces hair fall.
- Scalp massages are also beneficial in opening blood cells that regulate hair growth.
- Chinese hibiscus, ginseng, and green tea also benefit in combatting this disorder.
Following these treatments of Baldness (Alopecia Areata) in Ayurveda can help in initiating hair growth and reduction of hair fall and hair loss. For any further assistance or inquiry, you may contact us at IAFA ®, where we provide Natural and Ayurvedic Remedies and guidance to cure various disorders and diseases.