Leukoderma, also known as Vitiligo, is a skin condition where the skin loses its pigmentation (melanin), which causes white patches on the surface of the skin. The disease is a result of dysfunction of the pigment-producing cells or when they begin to die. The affected areas include eyes, scalp, mouth, hair, and genitals, depending upon the severity of the condition.
A definite cause or reason behind this condition remains unknown, but a combination of factors or aspects that lead to vitiligo shall be discussed in this article, along with the Symptoms of Leukoderma, its treatment, and various Herbal Remedies that help in treating the condition.
Types of Leukoderma
- Segmental Vitiligo: This type is restricted to one half or one segment of the entire body. This condition mostly occurs in the areas of the skin connected to the dorsal roots that emerge from the spinal cord. This is a stable form of vitiligo and occurs only in 10% of the entire cases throughout the world.
- Non – Segmental Vitiligo: This type occurs in both halves of the body and mostly in asymmetric patterns. This is the most commonly occurring type and affects 90% of the cases.
Causes of Leukoderma
- Genetics: Genetic factors constitute 30% of the total vitiligo cases throughout the world. Hereditary reasons are one of the major causes of this condition.
- Stress: Stress often triggers leukoderma causing genes and contributes to this condition.
- Infections: Viral or bacterial infections such as lichen planus, leprosy, etc. may also lead to leukoderma.
- Profession: Certain job professions lead to continuous or excessive exposure to toxic chemicals or sun which leads to sunburn, further resulting in this skin condition.
- Autoimmune Disorders: Such disorders occur when the immune system of the body begins to attack the healthy cells of the body, which sometimes may also include the destruction of melanocytes, the pigment-producing cell of the skin, thereby defying the mechanism of the body and causing this disease.
- Neurogenic Reasons: Certain neurogenic factors lead to the release of toxic substances that affect the melanocytes, and cause vitiligo.
Symptoms of Leukoderma
- Greying of hair.
- Change in the color of the retina.
- Prominent depigmentation on the face and hands.
- Decoloration in the areas of the skin that is directly exposed to the sun.
- Persistent itching or burning on the depigmented areas of the skin, which are generally harmless.
Treatment of Leukoderma
- Dietary changes and modifications can certainly stimulate the healing process. Foods that are rich in zinc, Vitamin C, and copper effectively contribute to treating the condition.
- Avoid stepping out into the sun with bare skin, always make sure that you apply sunscreen to prevent rashes or sunburns.
- Proper intake of water and fruits is also a must to help deal with this disease.
- Foods that take time to digest or junk food must be strictly avoided.
- Taking walks in nature and practicing Pranayama effectively helps in calming the mind and controlling the condition.
Some foods that must necessarily be avoided if you suffer from vitiligo are:
- Fruit juices
- Red meats
- Wheat products
Apart from these lifestyle changes, certain Ayurvedic and Herbal Remedies for Leukoderma also help in treating the skin condition. Let’s take a look at a few of them:
- The production of melanin can be increased by applying a mixture of basil leaves and lime juice.
- A mixture of turmeric powder and mustard oil is another method of increasing melanin production.
- Giloy herb is readily available in Indian Households and has excellent medicinal properties for treating various health concerns including Leukoderma, by protecting the melanocytes cells from the damage caused by the immune system during the autoimmune disorder.
- Khadira, another Indian herb can help in treating Vitiligo in its early stages and therefore reduce its intensity.
- Manjistha, yet another Ayurvedic herb helps in restoring normal skin color and prevents further discoloration.
Bringing about the above lifestyle changes, taking care of dietary restrictions, and following the above-stated herbal remedies and measures can bring about a remarkable difference in treating your skin condition. We at IAFA® not only provide reliable data and information regarding various skin conditions, allergies, and disorders but also provide personalized medical assistance and consultancy to treat your ailments. Contact us to book your appointments.