Atopic Dermatitis, also known as Eczema is a condition of the skin that causes redness, itchiness, and rashes on the skin. It is a chronic condition that is commonly seen in children but may develop at any age during a life course. It is a common skin ailment and nearly 10 million people are affected by it every year in India. The condition lasts a long time and may flare up periodically. It may also be accompanied by hay fever or asthma.
Having discussed what exactly is Atopic Dermatitis, we will now move forward to talk about its different causes and symptoms in brief, and explain different kinds of ayurvedic treatment measures and Herbal Remedies for Atopic Dermatitis.
Causes of Atopic Dermatitis
A number of physical, genetic, and environmental factors generally trigger this skin condition in the body. Let us take a look at the chief causes of Atopic Dermatitis:
- Environmental Factors: A lot of atmospheric changes and conditions can act as irritants to the skin and cause this condition.
- A hot and humid climate causes sweating which leads to itching and accumulation of dirt.
- Low humidity can cause dryness of the skin which leads to itchy and crusty skin.
- Other environmental irritants include smoke, air pollutants, tobacco smoke, etc.
- Genetic Factors: A person with a genetic history of eczema or background of hay fever, asthma, or other similar allergies is at a higher risk of developing this skin condition.
- A Weak Immune System: A person with a weak immune system is more likely to contract this skin allergy as the protein which helps in fighting against various bacteria’s and skin conditions are generally inadequate in a person who has a weak immune system.
- Stress: Excessive stress can often cause or aggravate Atopic Dermatitis. Various signs and symptoms that reveal a stressful condition are:
- Emotional or Mental Signs:
- A habit of constantly worrying.
- Dependence on alcohol or tobacco to feel relaxed.
- Short temper.
- Mood swings.
- Difficulty in focusing.
- Physical Signs:
- Pains and aches.
- Reluctance from indulging in sexual activities.
- Lack of sufficient sleep.
- Excessive sleeping.
- The tension of the muscles.
- Emotional or Mental Signs:
Symptoms of Eczema
Commons signs and symptoms of Atopic Dermatitis include:
- Patches on the skin.
- Redness around and on the patches.
- Scaly and dry skin.
- Bumps on the skin.
- Crusty and flaky skin.
Other conditions usually found alongside Eczema are:
- Loss of sleep.
Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis
Ayurveda is a traditional medicinal practice and the best treatment option for patients with atopic dermatitis. It is originally found in India thousands of years ago. Its holistic approach has fetched it enormous popularity worldwide and here at IAFA too, we focus on and provide Ayurvedic Healthcare facilities and suggest such measures that are absolutely herbal and organic in nature and free from any kinds of side effects. Let’s observe a few such Herbal Remedies for Treating Atopic Dermatitis:
- Panchakarma Therapy: According to Ayurveda, the three energies or doshas namely vata, pitta, and kapha energies are responsible for keeping a balance in the body. A disturbance between the balance of these causes various conditions in the body, one of which is Eczema. Panchkarma therapy helps in balancing the doshas by detoxifying the body and thus helps treat eczema. It includes the following procedures:
- Full body massage with oil.
- To induce sweat.
- To induce vomit.
- Consumption of medicated ghee for about a week.
- Oatmeal Bath: When ground oatmeal is used for bathing purposes, it helps in treating the inflammation of the skin caused by the skin condition. It is advisable to dip yourself in a solution of lukewarm water combined with oatmeal powder for about 15-20 minutes, pat dry and apply moisturizer.
- Sunflower Oil: Application of sunflower oil on damp skin at least twice a day can help in soothing inflammation and itching by providing a moisture lock to the skin.
- Coconut Oil: The anti-bacterial properties of coconut oil make it a super oil for treating various kinds of skin ailments and conditions. It is ideal for dryness and also prevents bacteria from entering the skin. It must be applied twice a day preferably to observe considerable results. Extra virgin or cold-pressed coconut oil is suggested as it is free from any kind of foreign chemicals.
- Witch Hazel: It is used for treating inflammation of the skin caused by eczema. Maybe dabbed directly on the skin using a towel or cotton pad.
- Hempseed Oil: It prevents bacterial infection by hydrating and strengthening the skin.
Herbs for Treating Atopic Dermatitis
Various herbs can help in providing relief from Eczema. A few of them are:
- Indian sarsaparilla
- Kava kava
- Winter cherry
Dietary changes that are typically recommended to treat Eczema include foods rich in minerals and abstinence from processed and packaged foods. These nutrients and minerals include:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Essential fatty acids
A diet that is rich in liquids and fluids is also essentially recommended for treating Atopic Dermatitis. Aloe Vera and coconut juice are two such drinks.
Foods to Be Prevented
Apart from following the above food and dietary recommendations, there are certain foods that must necessarily be avoided:
- Acidic fruits
- Processed food
- Packaged food
- Spicy food
- Dairy products
- Foods that contain yeast.
- Meats of all kinds.
- Refined sugar
- Oily or salty food.
The above-mentioned precautions, recommendations, herbs, and Ayurvedic treatment can get you considerable relief in treating atopic dermatitis and its symptoms. To get a personal consultation you may contact us at IAFA where our Ayurveda Experts provide healthcare assistance to treat various disorders and conditions.