Ayurvedic care for Diabetes Mellitus
Ayurvedic care for Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes Mellitus is commonly known as Diabetes.Diabetes is a metabolic disorder which causes higher level of blood sugar(glucose).Symptoms often include frequent urination,increased thirst and appetite,extreme fatigue,weight loss,sores that don’t heal.
Body is made up of millions of cells.To produce energy, cells need food in a simpler form when we eat or drink,food is broken down into simple sugar called glucose.Glucose provides the energy,which body needs for daily activities.Blood transports sugar from where it is taken in(the stomach) or manufactured (in the liver) to the cells where it is used (muscles)or where it is stored (fat).Sugar is not capable to go into the cells by itself.The pancreas releases insulin into the blood which serves as the helper, or the key that lets sugar into the cells for use of energy.
Causes of Diabetes or Madhumeha
- Excessive Sleeping
- Lack of Physical Activities
- Consumption of kapha aggravating Food
- Hereditary Factors
- Sedentary Life
- Long Standing Illness
- Repeatedly Eating Food
- Consumption of Carbohydrates rich Food,Sugar cane,heavy,improper Diet.
Ayurvedic Reference of Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes Mellitus is correlated with Madhumeha explained in Ayurveda.In Ayurveda there are 20forms of Prameha (Urinary Disease), Madhumeha is one of them.If any of above types is neglected, then ultimately it will ends resulting in Madhumeha.In this disease patient suffering from frequent urination and urine is sweet like honey,pale and rough.
Due to causative factors all three doshas imbalanced especially kapha and pitta in association with vata.Doshas blocking the channels of Meda(Fat tissue) and Mansa (muscle).Due to the obstruction of VataDosha, it transforms sweet ojas into Astringent mixed like honey,and it discharge through urine and is called Madhumeha.
Types of Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes: This type occurs when insulin producing cells of the (beta cells)are damaged.It is an autoimmune disease in which immune system attacks and destroys cells in the pancreas,where insulin is produced.The pancreas could not make little or no insulin,so sugar can’t go into the body’s cells for use of energy.It is the most common type of Diabetes in people who are under age 30,but it can occur at any age.Person who is Type 1 Diabetes must use insulin injections to control their blood glucose.
- Type 2 Diabetes: This type occurs when pancreas makes insulin, but it either doesn’t produce enough, or the insulin doesn’t work properly.Often this Type occurs after the age of 40 but can occurs in childhood if there are risk factors present.It is from genetics and lifestyle factors,overweight increases the risk.This condition runs in the families.This Type can be controlled with weight management,combination of diet and exercise.
- Prediabetes: When the blood sugar is at higher levels than normal,but it is not higher enough for diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Gestational Diabetes: Woman who is overweight when she gets pregnant or gain too much weight during their pregnancy are more likely to get Gestational Diabetes.Harmons changes during pregnancy causes Gestational Diabetes.The blood sugar is high in pregnancy because of insulin blocking Harmons are produced by the placenta.Greater risk is at age over 35 years,overweight,have family history of diabetes,history of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).Blood sugar levels usually returns to normal after child’s birth.Risk Factors developing Diabetes Mellitus,Family history of Diabetes,injury to the pancreas,autoimmune disease,age,physical stress,Lifestyle etc.
Stages of Diabetes or Madhumeha as per Ayurveda
- Pricking Pain of the Bladder
- Pain During Micturition
- Multiple Dosha involvement/Tissue Damage
- Tissue Necrosis
- Excessive Urination Dysuria
- Severe Thirst
Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes or Madhumeha
- Frequent Urination
- Excessive Sweating
- Excessive Hunger
- Visual Disturbance
- Lack of Stability
- Heaviness in the Body
- Dryness in the Throat
- Burning Sensation in the Feet and Palm
- Stickiness in the body
- Excessive Thirst
- Bad Breath
- Numbnessof feet or hands
- Loss of Sexual Urge
- Bad Body Odor
- Urine is Turbid and honey like
“Dr. Gupta’s Institute of Applied Food Allergy® offers comprehensive and evidence based therapeutic solutions in order effectively manage a spectrum of all immunology related disorders like diabetes in Ayurveda”.
A transforming, curing presence in Ayurveda!!!
Reach Dr. Gupta’s IAFA for all your worries about your health.
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet Management in Diabetes or Madhumeha
Do’s (Pathya): Consume Following,
- Cereals e.g. barley,wheat,old rice,
- Pulses like green Gram,Bengal Gram,kulattha,pigeon pee.
- Vegetables like all bitter vegetables
- Fruits like blackberry,Indian Gooseberry,limmoniaacidissima,curd fruit
- Seeds like kamala,utpala
- Liquor like old liquor
- Daily Regular Exercise
- Sound Sleep
- Balanced diet in Time
- Oils,mustard oil,Grita etc.
- Food that helps to keep sugar levels control are bitter,Astringent Food.Kaphapacifying diet should be followed.
Don’ts (Apathya): Avoid Following,
- Sugarcane juice
- Excessive oil or Ghee
- Sour beverages
- Heavy to digest food
- Newly harvested grains
- Overeating sweet items
- Suppression of Natural urges
- Day Time Sleep
- Wrong combination of Food
- Alcohol Consumption
- Sedentary Life
Yogasanas for Diabetes or Madhumeha
Yoga Asanas and Pranayama improves balance,flexibility,strength and lowers stress levels of the body.Improving strength can reduce liver fat and blood sugar level in people with obesity and Diabetes.One should daily practice yoga asanas and Pranayama for betterment of their life.
- Surya namaskar
Internal Medicines for Diabetes or Madhumeha
Purification Therapy of Diabetes or Madhumeha
Purification Therapy or Panchakarma is detoxification procedure and it has unique approach to the disease hence it is essential for the management of the disease.
Snehan – It’s an application of medicated oil to the body.It improves blood circulation,relives stress,relaxes muscle and the body.
Swedana – Ayurveda herbs steam,it opens skin pores and cleanses the system.
Virechan – Medicines are given orally to clean gastrointestinal tract.Body removes toxins through the rectum.
Basti – Ayurveda herbs oils or kwath enema is given to remove toxins through the rectum of the body.
Single Herbs for Diabetes or Madhumeha
- Karela (Bitter guard)
- Nimba (Pterocarpus marsupium linn)
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Khadir (Acacia Catechuroid)
- Shilajit (Asphaltumpunjabium)
- Lodhra ( Symocosracemosa)
- Jamun(Black plum)
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What are initial signs of Diabetes?
Question: How serious is Diabetes?
Question: Will Diabetes go away itself?
Question: Can Ayurveda cures Diabetes?
Question: What is the reliable investigation in modern medicine for Diabetes?
Dr. SAHIL GUPTA
Keywords: Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, Madhumeha, Blood Sugar, HbA1c.