Esophagitis in children is the inflammation of the squamous esophageal epithelium. It may result from various causes, including acid and nonacid gastroesophageal reflux (GER), food allergies, dysmotility due to various causes, infections, trauma, and iatrogenic causes. In the pediatric population, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), infection, eosinophilic esophagitis, and corrosive ingestions account for most cases.
In Ayurveda, Esophagitis can be correlated to Amlapitta which is one of the commonest vyadhi (disease) of annavahasrotas (Gastrointestinal tract disorder),caused by vitiated agni (Appetite).
Dr.Gupta’s IAFAhas a separate pediatric wing with dedicated facility for comprehensive management of diseases, disorders and other medical conditions in children.
Causes of Esophagitis
- A backflow of acid fluid from the stomach to the esophagus (GERD)
- Medications such as aspirin and anti-inflammatories
- Viruses, fungi, bacteria, or diseases that weaken the immune system
Ayurvedic reference of Esophagitis-Amlapitta
The following are the most common symptoms for ulcerative esophagitis. However, symptoms differ in each children. They include,
- Epigastric and/or substernal burning pain, especially when lying down or straining; and can make swallowing difficult (dysphagia)
- Heart burn
- Pain while swallowing food
- Water brash
- Chest pain
- Head ache
“Dr.Gupta’sIAFA offers fruitful Ayurvedic Management forEsophagitis. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is committed towards providing the outstanding service for all the health problems of your children through Ayurveda”.
If you are looking for your child’s betterhealth,Think aboutDr.Gupta’s IAFA!!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Esophagitis
Do’s (Pathya) in Esophagitis
- Take meals in a relaxed atmosphere at regular intervals.
- Do exercise regularly.
- Instead of taking three big meals, take 4-6 smaller portions
- Raise the head end of your bed or sleep on extra pillows so that head is higher than your feet
Don’ts (Apathya) in Esophagitis
- Avoid tea, coffee, and carbonated or alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid processed and fermented foods,curd
- Avoid using garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes, and vinegar in cooking.
- Avoid rich gravies, sour, salty, and spicy foods
- Avoid physical activities just after eating
- Avoid mental stress & worries
Yoga Therapy for Esophagitis
Specific Asanas (Yoga), Pranayama, meditation, deep relaxation techniques , helps to arrest the progression of the disease.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Esophagitis
Line of treatment
- Avoid causative factors
- Palliative treatment – As the disease is of Pitta origin, all measures are undertaken to pacify pitta.
- Panchakarma treatment – When patient cannot be well managed with oral medications ‘Panchakarma procedures’ like Vamana (emesis) or virechana (purgation) whichever is needed should be administered. In chronic cases Asthapanavasti (medicated enema) is indicated.
Internal Medicines for Esophagitis
- Sutashekhar Rasa
Purificatory Therapies for Esophagitis
- Vamana (emesis)
- Virechana (purgation)
- Asthapanavasti (medicated enema)
Single herbs used inEsophagitis
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
- Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhizaglabra)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist